iOS 17.1, 17.1.1 not updating played tracks

I've tried this with iOS 17.1, iOS 17.1.1, iPadOS 17.1, and iPadOS 17.1.1.

When I play a song that's in "your library" (as opposed to Apple Music) on this device, it will appear in the "Recently Played" local playlist. Unfortunately, the fact that it was played locally does not get updated, so my other devices never see their "Recently Played" playlists update with this information. Seems like there's an issue that initiated in 17.1 that makes updating play counts not sync across devices.

(I can play songs from my library via tvOS 17.1 and recent played playlists are updated.)

I've tried restarting devices, signing in and signing out of Apple Music and iCloud, but nothing helps.

Maybe someone here can tell me what I'm missing or doing wrong, or might be able to do to resolve this?

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Nov 12, 2023 8:51 AM

6 replies

Nov 19, 2023 6:25 PM in response to mikelach2

Your lucky my wouldn’t play any of my own music on the Ipad only things that had been bought via Itunes. Then I noted that when Ipad now synchs it does to a new file location “synched content”. So I guessed that this is what was stuffing things up, the IPAD couldn’t find my music as the locations had been changed by the update. So I had to delete all my songs out of the music app and then resynch the whole 13,000 which now reside in the synched content file and as its a new complete synch the Ipad music app knows where they are too. So I am guessing your issue may be linked to the file location as well. You would think that Apple would have catered for this in the background when they updated to 17.1 and 17.1.1

iOS 17.1, 17.1.1 not updating played tracks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.