iPhone Volume Not Staying Where Adjusted

I'm having a recurring issue, where, I swipe from the top right for my control center and adjust my volume (either up or down) and it doesn't stay where I put it. I close my control center and open it back up immediately and the volume lever is somewhere else entirely.

Most frequently, it's me turning it from all the way up, to the all the way down because I'm entering some kind of quiet area and I don't want to be one of those people embarrassed by their phone blaring a loud video in a quiet room.

I'll pull up my control center, swipe the volume from full volume all the way down to no volume, and close the control center. Then when I immediately open the control center again, it's somewhere in the middle. Sometimes it takes me three or four tries to get the volume to actually STAY at muted.

And just clarify, this has nothing to do with the RINGER, this is just phone volume for like, videos and stuff.

Why is this happening? How do I fix it?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Nov 14, 2023 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2024 6:45 AM

For those of us who chose to have different volume settings for ringtones and notifications, compared to the music, videos, and app volume, the mute button does not apply to this audio. I frequently have notifications, ringtones, and alerts muted while listening to audio in an app.

The buttons on the side are slower and inconvenient compared to the control center slider. I also have an issue with my slider not staying down when trying to turn the volume down completely. The volume will often return to about 25% of what it was before I turned it down. This all happens while I am staring at the control center and is not due to changing apps. Frequently I have to slide the volume to zero 2-3 times to get it to stay at zero.

In case it is not clear why this would be needed, Lawrence, there are many times that it would be inappropriate for me to watch a video with my volume on, so I ensure that my volume is all the way off before opening an app like TikTok, for example. Meanwhile, my mute slider has never left the mute position.

Previously I have never had this issue, I have owned 3 separate Apple iPhones over a period of almost 11 years This has been a reoccurring issue since around the time that this post originated and I have found this post in my recent search for answers. I'm assuming it was part of an update and was hoping there was a setting that could be turned off.

I would be happy to see some real answers come from this post.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2024 6:45 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

For those of us who chose to have different volume settings for ringtones and notifications, compared to the music, videos, and app volume, the mute button does not apply to this audio. I frequently have notifications, ringtones, and alerts muted while listening to audio in an app.

The buttons on the side are slower and inconvenient compared to the control center slider. I also have an issue with my slider not staying down when trying to turn the volume down completely. The volume will often return to about 25% of what it was before I turned it down. This all happens while I am staring at the control center and is not due to changing apps. Frequently I have to slide the volume to zero 2-3 times to get it to stay at zero.

In case it is not clear why this would be needed, Lawrence, there are many times that it would be inappropriate for me to watch a video with my volume on, so I ensure that my volume is all the way off before opening an app like TikTok, for example. Meanwhile, my mute slider has never left the mute position.

Previously I have never had this issue, I have owned 3 separate Apple iPhones over a period of almost 11 years This has been a reoccurring issue since around the time that this post originated and I have found this post in my recent search for answers. I'm assuming it was part of an update and was hoping there was a setting that could be turned off.

I would be happy to see some real answers come from this post.

Nov 14, 2023 10:10 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I did not know about that "context" aspect. However, I find that odd because when I was trying to replicate this issue for a screen recording, I had Safari open (most neutral screen I could think of) and it did do it once, and Safari was open the whole time. I did not change apps at all. Is there anyway to turn this context sensitivity off though? I want that volume lever it just apply to all volume throughout the phone (besides ringer of course).

Also, it's just much faster to swipe the volume all the way down, rather than hold the down arrow. That's why I do it that way.

Nov 14, 2023 10:02 AM in response to NBenitez10

The volume setting is “context sensitive”. That means if you set it while using an app, it will apply only to that app. If you set it on the Home screen that will only affect the volume for the ringer and notification sounds.

I’m surprised you go to the Control Center, when you can just use the volume buttons on the left side of the phone.

Mar 24, 2024 3:07 PM in response to NBenitez10

I’m having volume issues too. Ot will not change separately for different apps. It’s always the same volume on everything. I use the side button to lower volume or silent and it shows that it’s in the proper position but still getting sound alerts. Same problem when I use slider. It seems that the only thing that is affected is media volume, remember, this is the same issue whether I turn it down on Home Screen, in phone app, messaging app, or anywhere else. Always have had this issue, with my iPhone 15 pro and my old iPhone pot 10 max.

Apr 4, 2024 7:17 AM in response to NBenitez10

This happens to me when running Waze or Apple Maps while listening to Apple Music or Podcast. The volume is interrupted by an announcement from the mapping program, then never returns to full volume. I have yet to figure out how to get full volume back without ending the podcast, the directions, and restarting each. I am current on software, new 15 titanium pro, and it also happened on my last 13 pro max.

iPhone Volume Not Staying Where Adjusted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.