Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Error 1034 when trying to set up voicemail greeting

When I click on Greeting to set up my voice mail on my new phone (I’ve had for a few weeks now), I receive a pop up box error that says: The operation couldn’t be completed (com.apple.mobilephone error 1034). Then the box disappears and the screen just sits there cycling saying “retrieving greeting” at the top. I went to the AT&T store and they said they couldn’t do anything about it there at the store.

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Nov 16, 2023 1:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2023 3:44 PM

Ever since the last update I can’t change my custom voicemail.

please send a fix

43 replies

Jan 10, 2024 9:29 AM in response to Bonmor

Fixed! I received this error when I changed my number last week. I have Verizon as my carrier. While their website did not address this specific error, they had some general instructions for troubleshooting voicemail. I was able to update my message by calling *86. It was super easy. Hope this helps other Verizon iPhone users with this error.

Nov 16, 2023 1:43 AM in response to Bonmor

Please contact your Carrier as VoiceMail is a carrier-specific feature --> Check your voicemail on iPhone - Apple Support

VoiceMail, whether it's visual voicemail or the traditional voicemail service, is a carrier-specific feature that depends on your cellular service provider. If you are experiencing any issues related to voicemail on your iPhone, it's essential to get in touch with your carrier for assistance. Here's how you can check your voicemail on an iPhone and what steps you should take if you encounter any problems:

Checking Voicemail on iPhone:

1. Visual Voicemail: On most iPhones and carriers that support visual voicemail, you can access your voicemail messages directly from the Phone app. Open the Phone app, and you should see a "Voicemail" tab at the bottom. Tap on it to access your voicemail messages in a visual and user-friendly interface.
  2. Traditional Voicemail: If your carrier doesn't offer visual voicemail or if you prefer the traditional voicemail service, you can access your voicemail by dialing your carrier's voicemail number from your iPhone.

Troubleshooting Voicemail Issues:

1. Voicemail Not Working: If you are experiencing issues with accessing or receiving voicemail messages, it's essential to contact your carrier's customer support. They can help you troubleshoot the problem and ensure that your voicemail service is set up correctly.
  2. eSIM Users: If your iPhone uses an eSIM, ensure that the eSIM is activated and set up correctly with your carrier. Any issues with the eSIM activation can affect voicemail functionality.
  3. Network and Coverage: Sometimes, voicemail issues may be related to network coverage or signal strength. Check that your device has a stable cellular connection.

You may try some of these steps, please check after each step...

The error message "Voicemail error performing request unknown iPhone" typically indicates an issue with the voicemail feature on your iPhone. There are several potential reasons for this error, and here are some troubleshooting steps you can follow to resolve the problem:

1. Ensure that your iPhone has a stable internet or cellular connection. Voicemail services may require a data connection to function correctly.
  2. Check if there are any carrier settings updates available for your iPhone. Carrier updates can sometimes resolve voicemail-related issues.
  3. Contact your carrier's customer support to ensure there are no known issues with their voicemail services in your area.
  4. If you have call forwarding enabled, try disabling it to see if it resolves the voicemail problem. Go to "Settings" > "Phone" > "Call Forwarding" and turn it off if it's enabled.
  5. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary software glitches. Turn off your iPhone, wait for a few seconds, and then turn it back on.
    1. Restart the device. That's it.
    2. Still not solved --> Force restart iPhone - Apple Support
  6. If the issue persists, you can try resetting all settings on your iPhone. This will not erase your data but will reset all personalized settings to their default values. Go to Settings > General > Transfer & Reset > Reset > Reset All Settings and confirm the action. Note that you will need to reconfigure your settings afterward. All settings—including network settings, the keyboard dictionary, the Home screen layout, location settings, privacy settings, and Apple Pay cards—are removed or reset to their defaults. No data or media are deleted.
    1. Reset All Settings: Return iPhone settings to their defaults - Apple Support:- Return iPhone settings to their defaults
    2. You can return settings to their defaults without erasing your content.
    3. If you want to save your settings, back up your iPhone before returning them to their defaults. For example, if you’re trying to solve a problem but returning settings to their defaults doesn’t help, you might want to restore your previous settings from a backup.
  7. Make sure you have the latest updates installed.
    1. Update Over-the-Air (OTA) —> Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (IN)
    2. Update using iTunes/Finder —> Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it is recommended to reach out to Apple Support or visit an authorized service center for further assistance. They can provide specific guidance based on your device model and iOS version.

Dec 30, 2023 4:21 PM in response to Bonmor

My wife and I both had this issue on our phones. I just resolved it by calling my cell phone carrier. All they did from their end was to turn on what they called "visual voicemail" . BINGO! That message no longer appears it everything works as expected. In thinking about how that "visual voicemail" switch ever got turned off (since my voicemail used to work perfectly a few months ago), the only thing I can correlate it with is when I called the carrier to have international roaming turned on for a trip to Canada. The service rep at the carrier couldn't confirm that, but since it happened to both mine and my wife's phone at the same time, I'm fairly confident that's what caused it. So to everyone that has this issue, start by calling your carrier.

Error 1034 when trying to set up voicemail greeting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.