Vibration controls appear to be broke/missing in the 17.1.1 update

Since updating today to 17.1.1, I have two issues:

(1) Every notification, phone call, etc., vibrates the phone. I want to the phone to vibrate only in Silent mode, and it has been the case for every iOS version and every phone since my first iPhone (3GS). This will greatly diminish the battery life. There is no option under Sounds & Haptics to adjust vibration that I can find. The only 'advice' is to completely turn off vibrations, which the documentation states that this will also turn them off in Silent mode, where I want it to vibrate so I know I have notifications when I am in an environment where I don't want the ringer or tones going off.

(2) Under notifications, there is no longer an option to change the default sound for your app notifications. The sound it was changed to is ... quite frankly ... stupid, and will not easily be heard.

Has anyone figured out how to fix these situations? Or is this yet another failure of quality control to ensure that long-time features aren't broke with an update/upgrade?

Posted on Nov 19, 2023 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2023 6:12 PM

I HATE this new haptics vibrate. Why can’t you just leave things alone. Give me my old vibrate function back. Quit thinking you’re fixing things when they weren’t broken to begin with. Please. Stop changing so much about the user interface it is EXHAUSTING!

26 replies

Dec 23, 2023 11:34 AM in response to Old_dog_newtrix

I hate this update!!!! I also learned after 6 years of having an alarm set in my phone, that the haptics setting update made it so that it did not sound my alarm in the morning, making me miss a very important business meeting out of town. I’m so frustrated with this update. My texts still won’t vibrate. The options are confusing and maddening. Why can’t I just have these setting set the way I used to have it before this terrible update?

Nov 20, 2023 9:43 PM in response to caitxwright

My sounds changed! I can’t hear the notifications in 17.1.1. If someone sends me a dm on instagram, I get a low blip sound. If someone sends me a text, no sound. If someone hits the heart on a text I sent, I get a little bit of a tick sound

dont update your iOS not until this is fixed. It’s super annoying. I don’t even know when I have a new text.

Nov 20, 2023 7:36 AM in response to SravanKrA

The sounds option is no longer available under the notifications for being able to select your default notification sound as of 17.1.1. I do not see a way to set the default notification sound.

For the vibration issue, figured out a setting under the haptics which seems to fix it. However, this is a step backward in 'ease of use,' as what is displayed for the user should be straight forward (such as use of vibration, not the stupid word haptics).

But, in both cases, with the update to 17.1.1, settings were changed from what I have. The vibration (haptics) was turned on, and the default setting for the notification sound was changed (and went away). And, the new unsettable default sound is barely noticeable, even at max volume.

Nov 28, 2023 3:04 PM in response to SravanKrA

SravanKra, I'm having the same problem as the poster on iOS 17.1.1

I went to Audio settings under Accessibility, and the setting you suggest changing is not there.

I misplace my main phone a lot around the house, and I call it from an alt phone to find it. With my main phone not vibrating anymore, it's next to impossible to find. (I keep the main phone on silent all the time because I like the quiet.)

Nov 20, 2023 1:21 AM in response to SravanKrA

For the vibration issue:

You may try some of these steps, please check after each step...

1. Check Accessibility Settings: Go to Settings > Accessibility > Back Tap [Disable]
  2. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary software glitches. Turn off your iPhone, wait for a few seconds, and then turn it back on.
    1. Restart the device. That's it.
    2. Still not solved --> Force restart iPhone - Apple Support
  3. If the issue persists, you can try resetting all settings on your iPhone. This will not erase your data but will reset all personalized settings to their default values. Go to Settings > General > Transfer & Reset > Reset > Reset All Settings and confirm the action. Note that you will need to reconfigure your settings afterward. All settings—including network settings, the keyboard dictionary, the Home screen layout, location settings, privacy settings, and Apple Pay cards—are removed or reset to their defaults. No data or media are deleted.
    1. Reset All Settings: Return iPhone settings to their defaults - Apple Support:- Return iPhone settings to their defaults
    2. You can return settings to their defaults without erasing your content.
    3. If you want to save your settings, back up your iPhone before returning them to their defaults. For example, if you’re trying to solve a problem but returning settings to their defaults doesn’t help, you might want to restore your previous settings from a backup.
  4. Make sure you have the latest updates installed.
    1. Update Over-the-Air (OTA) —> Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (IN)
    2. Update using iTunes/Finder —> Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it is recommended to reach out to Apple Support or visit an authorized service center for further assistance. They can provide specific guidance based on your device model and iOS version.

Nov 20, 2023 1:18 AM in response to phoenixangell

For the notification sound issue:

1. Open the Settings app and scroll down to the list of apps. Select the app for which you want to customize the notification sound. Under "Notifications," tap on "Sounds" and choose the desired sound.
  2. Go to Settings > Accessibility > Audio/Visual. Under "Audio," make sure "Alert Sounds" is turned on.
  3. If the app's default notification sound cannot be changed, you may need to contact the app developers to inquire about adding this option in future updates.

If you find yourself encountering issues with third-party apps or reaching out to the respective app developer can be a helpful step in resolving the problem.

How to Contact an App Developer:

1. In-App Support: Many apps offer an in-app support feature. Look for a "Contact Us" or "Help" section within the app's settings or menu. This may provide you with direct contact information or a form to submit your query.
  2. App Store or Website: If you can't find in-app support or need additional assistance, visit the app's page on the respective app store --> How to contact an app developer - Apple Support
  3. Email Support: Check if the developer has an official support email address listed on their website or app store page. Send them an email explaining the issue you're facing. Be detailed in describing the problem to receive relevant assistance.
  4. Social Media: Some developers maintain active social media profiles. Reach out to them through platforms like Twitter or Facebook, describing your issue or sending them a direct message.
  5. Community Forums: Many apps have dedicated user forums or communities where you can ask questions and seek help from other users or the developers themselves.

Nov 20, 2023 1:16 AM in response to phoenixangell

Updating iOS on your iPhone should typically not alter the fundamental functionality of the device. It's possible that there were underlying issues before this update, which you might not have been aware of previously or might not have noticed.

In general, iOS updates are designed to enhance the user experience, improve security, and fix bugs, rather than introducing major disruptions to core features. The reported issue of the screen flickering and displaying a white screen after an update is likely caused by factors that are not explicitly mentioned in your post.

iOS updates primarily focus on improving system performance, introducing new features, fixing bugs, and enhancing security. They are designed to preserve your personal data, settings, and information intact.

During an iOS update, your device's operating system is upgraded, but your personal data, such as contacts, photos, messages, and other information, should remain unchanged. However, it's always a good practice to perform a backup of your device before any major update to ensure that your data is safely stored.

It's important to note that while an iOS update itself should not alter personal details, it's possible that certain features or settings may be adjusted or improved with the update. In such cases, you may need to review and adjust specific settings to match your preferences after the update.

Always make sure to read and understand the update details provided by Apple before proceeding with an iOS update, and follow best practices such as backing up your device to minimize any potential risks or complications.

See what each update does: About iOS 17 Updates, About iOS 16 Updates, About iOS 15 Updates, About iOS 14 Updates, About iOS 13 Updates, About iOS 12 Updates, and so on...

Nov 25, 2023 9:52 AM in response to phoenixangell

I am likewise annoyed with IOS 17.1.1. I only want vibrate in silent mode like we had before. However, when I am in silent mode, now, not only does it vibrate, which is what I want, but it plays the Pac-Man theme. When I am in silent mode, I only want vibrate. It will be very distracting and very annoying if Pac-Man theme plays when I am at a concert or when I am in church. Please change this immediately. In order to not get the Pac-Man theme. I have to put my phone in airplane mode. Which I do not want to do when I am in church or in a concert. Please fix this immediately, like today. And I don’t need all the extra bells and whistles that you added on this iOS either. Thank you.

Vibration controls appear to be broke/missing in the 17.1.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.