You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old messages disappeared from iPhone and iPad

Hello everyone. I recently noticed that for some strange reason I lost all messages (iMessages and sms) dating back to 2017. I don't know exactly when it happened, I noticed it a couple of weeks ago. Until this summer I'm sure there were. I tried to disable Messages in iCloud, to download the messages to the iPhone and I notice that if I go to Settings - iPhone storage I can see the attachments (photos and videos) that are older than 2017, but they still don't synchronize in the respective chats (as you can see from screenshots).

It's strange because the space occupied by messages on iCloud has remained unchanged. It's as if those messages were still on my cloud storage but iCloud can no longer synchronize them across devices. I contacted Apple support, but they told me that without an old backup it is impossible to recover them.

How could this happen? Are there solutions?

iPhone 13, iOS 17

Posted on Nov 20, 2023 2:36 AM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Old messages disappeared from iPhone and iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.