Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Macbook Pro crashes when connected to external display with HDMI

My MacBook Pro 2021 Apple M1 Pro is running Sonoma 14.1 and when I have it connected to my TV by HDMI it often crashes, the audio continues on playing as normal but the picture freezes and the keyboard is unresponsive. I have to do a hard shutdown to bring it back to life. Any ideas why?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Nov 24, 2023 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2024 9:13 AM

I have the same problem. I have a 2021 MacBook Pro M1 (14.2.1 (23C71) . When I plug my computer into HDMI, sometimes is freezes and I have to hard reboot. I have tried different cables and different monitors. It will connect fine but then when I try to change something, it freezes. Very annoying and makes my computer VERY unreliable as a professional solution...

Similar questions

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2024 9:13 AM in response to Frazerm00

I have the same problem. I have a 2021 MacBook Pro M1 (14.2.1 (23C71) . When I plug my computer into HDMI, sometimes is freezes and I have to hard reboot. I have tried different cables and different monitors. It will connect fine but then when I try to change something, it freezes. Very annoying and makes my computer VERY unreliable as a professional solution...

Dec 5, 2023 7:05 PM in response to Frazerm00

So, I've been doing some mesearch and discovered it seems to be related to Bluetooth devices (No idea why!), but a slight movement of the mouse whilst connected via HDMI causes it to crash, although I can't replicate it every single time I noticed it always happens instantly after touching the Bluetooth mouse.

Doesn't crash when I don't use the Bluetooth devices

Mar 23, 2024 3:19 AM in response to Frazerm00

Another M1 user with the same issue. This all used to work fine, but now whenever I connect an HDMI TV or monitor after around 2 minutes the Laptops screen freezes. Sometimes I can still operate the computer via the external screen, so the entire machine isn't always crashing, but it becomes next to impossible to use. Other times it crashes.

Makes it impossible to use for professional use.

May 2, 2024 7:54 AM in response to AJSP

Update:

Repair changed the logic board and everything else that is attached (or soldered) to it, which is a lot of the machine nowadays. The problem persists. It's important to notice that it happens on the HDMI or the USB-C port, all of them, on any monitor I tested (Samsung, LG and a brand new Apple Studio Display).

I took the computer on the main official repair shop, the main Apple shop in the state. I reproduced the error with the crew. They took notes, tested for a few days and gave me back saying that it passed all tests, including the one I showed them that it did not. Shamelessly, I showed them that the problem persisted. They gave up and told me to call Apple by phone (yes, you read it right, Apple recommended me to call them by phone).

I called them and they admitted that they've similar reports and are working on the issue. After two calls, they asked me for the external monitors specifications in order to reproduce the problem. I sent them but already told that, obviously it would not fix the problem and I wouldn't wait much longer.

It's messing with my workflow and I demanded a fix ASAP. It's completely frustrating. I'm on Apple Care. If I wasn't, I'd have already gave up the machine.

I hope some Apple employee read this here too.

Mar 13, 2024 11:26 AM in response to Frazerm00

Same issue here. MacBook Pro M1 on 14.1. Sometimes my MacBook freezes (image but not sound) and eventually crashes. It is caused be input on the keyboard or touchpad. In my case this only happens if I connect to my beamer via HDMI. If I connect to my monitor I never experienced anything like it.

Not sure if bluetooth has anything to do with this, but I was connected to my JBLs at the time(which in itself does not crash my macbook).

Apr 2, 2024 7:59 AM in response to Frazerm00

I used to have the same exact problem with my Macbook Pro from 2020 (Intel chip). Brought it to Apple Genius Bar several times and they never managed to re-create the problem so it was never solved.

I actually bought a Macbook Pro M3 last week and started using it today with a 2nd monitor and... it has just crashed when it went to sleep after 5 minutes. This is extremely frustrating.

Apr 17, 2024 11:04 AM in response to Frazerm00

Same problem, began with a Sonoma update in the fall 2023. Direct connection between MacBook & External Display (LG Ultrafine 5K) via USB-C ports - Using a 2021 M1 Pro MacBookPro 14" (currently on MacOS v14.4.1) - Occurs mostly on video content played through Safari, triggered (semi-consistently) after switching videos to full screen mode. Causes full system crashes (that haven't occurred in MacOS in over a decade). Video sound will continue for a while but screen/mouse/system is fully frozen otherwise. Only fix is a power button reset. Was considering a full system rebuild but sounds like this really is a MacOS wide bug, not limited to my installation of MacOS.

Nov 26, 2023 6:52 AM in response to Frazerm00

We need to isolate:

1. Is it the frequency of the monitor that the graphics chip is failing with

2.Is it the cable's ability to manage the frequency of the monitor that is creating a problem

3.Is it the some independent item on the laptop that is causing the crash

One thing you can do is run Apple hardware diagnostics to see if there is a detectable hardware problem:

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

If there isn't, continue to isolate the laptop, cable, and monitor until you find out what combination of conditions yields the crash.

Mar 23, 2024 5:44 AM in response to AJSP

Hi AJSP,

Bring your monitors to the shop when they say it is repaired.

Alternatively you can call AppleCare and ask them to repair it through mail in.

I find calling AppleCare is typically faster since they usually have better availability of parts.

Request a case number before you hang up.

Follow up on it. This is just a user to user forum with Apple moderation. If no solution appears to be present, please start a new topic thread. Long threads are difficult to find the right answer. Please share the link to start a new topic, if you get another person replying to the thread who isn't giving you an answer and is just saying me too.

AJSP wrote:

Did you solve it? I have the same issue. The local assistance said that they would replace the main board but I'm not sure if it will solve it.

Macbook Pro crashes when connected to external display with HDMI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.