Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

FCP Frame effect doesn't fit image 10.5.2

I'm applying the Frame effect to a photograph. The frame doesn't fit the photo. There doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the photo size within the frame. I've tried all the types of frames and most either have image hanging outside the frame, or gaps between the edge of the photo and the frame. How can I adjust?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Dec 1, 2023 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2023 8:28 PM

Okay - I do have it.

Since this is *actually* an Effect, you can add it to an Adjustment Layer (or a Basic Title - just remove the text) — then you will be able to crop the clips in the storyline. If you need to isolate them as "one clip" - create a compound clip of storyline clip and the Title with the Frame effect applied.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2023 8:28 PM in response to enzso

Okay - I do have it.

Since this is *actually* an Effect, you can add it to an Adjustment Layer (or a Basic Title - just remove the text) — then you will be able to crop the clips in the storyline. If you need to isolate them as "one clip" - create a compound clip of storyline clip and the Title with the Frame effect applied.

Dec 1, 2023 7:43 PM in response to enzso

I am not familiar with that frame effect.

If that frame is provided with final cut, I don't have it. (I only have version 10.4.10 of Final Cut.) What is the name of the effect? (Or Title, or Generator).

... anyway ...

Most effects relying on a fixed resolution image for an overlay will not change when being applied to "non-standard" media formats (letterbox, vertical or "social", etc...) Your usual option is to either crop the footage to fit or use a project size that matches the frame graphic element and use a Spatial Conform of "Fill".

Dec 1, 2023 8:00 PM in response to fox_m

Thanks Fox that makes sense. It's called Frame and it sits in with the standard video effects suite on 10.5

Using crop in the original project didn't work so I created a new project using the photo's dimensions as the custom format size and the frame fits now. Trouble is I'm using images of all different sizes so that's not going to be a solution. I'll just have to find a frame I can add as an extra layer, then resize images underneath accordingly. cheers

FCP Frame effect doesn't fit image 10.5.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.