外付けSSDを初期化したい

I am trying to format it for the first time. It's not dedicated to time machine, I just want to initialize it and remove 3 years worth of garbage.

I thought that if I right-clicked on the Extreme SSD icon in the Finder, there would be a format option, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Q1:Disk Utility has a menu called "Erase". Should I press this icon?

Q2: Could you please tell me if there are any precautions to take when initializing an external SSD? *Data has been backed up.

--

Specifications:

MacBookPro2020, macOS Ventura13.6, SunDisk Extreme SSD 500GB(APFS)

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Dec 3, 2023 10:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2023 11:32 AM

I missed the fact that you were trying to erase a volume with a system on it. You would select the Container disk like Container disk7 or Container disk9 in the screenshot.

If you get an error message that the disk can't be unmounted eject it manually and then try erasing with DU. Sometimes the drive won't eject via DU so I have to do it manually.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2023 11:32 AM in response to LocaAlicia

I missed the fact that you were trying to erase a volume with a system on it. You would select the Container disk like Container disk7 or Container disk9 in the screenshot.

If you get an error message that the disk can't be unmounted eject it manually and then try erasing with DU. Sometimes the drive won't eject via DU so I have to do it manually.

Dec 3, 2023 11:25 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you for your quick reply. Old Toad has selected "TH Annex2" instead of Dual Drive Dock 1Media.

--

Q3: Should I select the same hierarchy?

I would appreciate it if you could tell me why you choose the bottom instead of the top.

--

To the moderator:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but if the title is written in Japanese, please correct it to English. This is caused by sending the message while using the translation function.

外付けSSDを初期化したい

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.