Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Battery Health - Service Recommended

I'm trying to reset the battery health status on my MacBook Pro Need someone to give me any new ideas from what I've already tried.

I was fortunate to find a 2020 MacBook Pro 13" that had never been opened! I set it up but the battery would not charge. After doing a software update to the newest OS (Sonoma 14.1.2), the battery began to charge and went to 100%. Everything appears to be fine except for that darn message.

I have done the following:

1. A battery recalibration cycle
  2. Reset the SMC
  3. Delete the power com.apple.power plist files in the preferences folder
  4. Reinstall the OS

I've even read where people asked about the issue at the Genius Bar and were given the answer that there is no way to reset the battery health status.

Looking for new ideas!

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Dec 8, 2023 6:09 PM

3 replies

Dec 8, 2023 6:19 PM in response to EPCOT Fan

EPCOT Fan wrote:

1. I'm trying to reset the battery health status on my MacBook Pro Need someone to give me any new ideas from what I've already tried.

I was fortunate to find a 2020 MacBook Pro 13" that had never been opened! I set it up but the battery would not charge. After doing a software update to the newest OS (Sonoma 14.1.2), the battery began to charge and went to 100%. Everything appears to be fine except for that darn message.

I have done the following:

A battery recalibration cycle
2. Reset the SMC
3. Delete the power com.apple.power plist files in the preferences folder
4. Reinstall the OS

I've even read where people asked about the issue at the Genius Bar and were given the answer that there is no way to reset the battery health status.

Looking for new ideas!

I would simply use it and see if it comes back to life.

you do not say 2020 Intel or 2020 M1....details matter.

2020 introduced M1...There is no SMC on the SoC Macs

No SMC or NVRAM on the M1/M2 SoC.

The best you can do if you have an issue— equivalent Shut down, close the lid 30 secs+ , reboot as normal.

If no resolve try SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support to sort anomalies.

Dec 8, 2023 8:03 PM in response to EPCOT Fan

I agree with @12-ThreeFour. When a Lithium battery has been left at 0% charge for an extended time, the battery will become permanently damaged. The "Service Recommended" condition indicates the Battery's Full Charge Capacity (FCC, aka Battery Maximum Capacity) has decreased to about 77% - 80% of its original Design Capacity, or a hardware issue has been detected with the battery. These are both hardware conditions. Expect an Apple Battery repair will be about $250 US.

Mac Repair & Service - Apple Support

FYI, Sometimes when Lithium batteries have been left discharged for a while, they may begin to swell, so keep an eye on it. But if it works well enough and doesn't swell, then just use it as @leroydouglas suggested.

Battery Health - Service Recommended

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.