Will there be a journal app on the iPad as there is now on the iPhone?

My iPhone has just been updated and now has the Journal app. My iPad has also been updated to 17.2 but I don’t see the Journal app. I have tried using the iPhone version but I would much rather use the iPad and a keyboard to make notes about my day than the iPhone

iPad Pro (5th generation)

Posted on Dec 12, 2023 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2024 5:39 AM

Please PLEASE add the journal app to iPadOS! I’ve been searching for something like it to use with iPad mini, replacing my physical/analog notebook. I purchased the mini specifically for this purpose and the third party apps are all lacking for one reason or another. JOURNAL is perfect and the security features are better than third party.

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2024 5:39 AM in response to pominoz

Please PLEASE add the journal app to iPadOS! I’ve been searching for something like it to use with iPad mini, replacing my physical/analog notebook. I purchased the mini specifically for this purpose and the third party apps are all lacking for one reason or another. JOURNAL is perfect and the security features are better than third party.

Dec 12, 2023 11:27 AM in response to pominoz

Day One allows all sorts of media. At the moment, it appears to still be much better than Apple's app. And, according to articles I read, Day One will be incorporating Apple's Journal Suggestions (Apple has made that an option). The other thing I like is that Day One allows you to export your journal as a PDF. So far, I haven't figured out how you can get Apple's Journal entries out of the phone. But, I haven't spent much time looking.

The downside to Day One is that some features require a subscription. On the other hand, it can be accessed from an iPhone, iPad, Mac or any browser.

Feb 20, 2024 11:43 PM in response to pominoz

Honestly, it only makes sense placing the journal app on the iPadOS/MacOS as well. For me, the journal app on iOS is a good idea to for glancing or jotting down something quick. I feel that a lot more people wouldn’t only just use the journal app more if it was on iPadOS/MacOS, but they would likely have more positive reviews. I really hope Apple dives deeper into what the journal app could be. It really has the potential to be an amazing an app.

Feb 21, 2024 7:34 AM in response to lcwheeler18

lcwheeler18 wrote:

Honestly, it only makes sense placing the journal app on the iPadOS/MacOS as well. For me, the journal app on iOS is a good idea to for glancing or jotting down something quick. I feel that a lot more people wouldn’t only just use the journal app more if it was on iPadOS/MacOS, but they would likely have more positive reviews. I really hope Apple dives deeper into what the journal app could be. It really has the potential to be an amazing an app.

Have you told Apple how you feel? They don't read here in this user-to-user forum for feedback or suggestions. You use the feedback link:

Product Feedback - Apple

Dec 12, 2023 11:11 AM in response to pominoz

pominoz wrote:

My iPhone has just been updated and now has the Journal app. My iPad has also been updated to 17.2 but I don’t see the Journal app. I have tried using the iPhone version but I would much rather use the iPad and a keyboard to make notes about my day than the iPhone

Apple has said nothing about plans to add the feature to the iPad. You can let them know it's something you'd like to see here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Meanwhile, you might want to look at Day One. It's a fantastic journal app.

Dec 12, 2023 11:22 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks very much for the helpful feedback. I have left a request under the iPad section. Apple have not listed product feedback for Journal yet. I will take a look at Day One to see how it stacks up against Agenda. I like Agenda for many reasons but what I don’t like about it is it is almost only a text based piece of software. Yes, you can insert photos and other media but they only show as icons. I was really looking forward to having Journal but was disappointed when I discovered it is only for the iPhone. I have an iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard and case and I find it much easier to use that rather than the onscreen keyboard of the iPhone.

Apr 17, 2024 10:01 AM in response to pominoz

Most apps are available on all Apple devices, I really wish that the Journal app was able to be used on my iPad and Mac, as they make much more sense for journalling than on a little iPhone with no physical keyboard or stylus abilities. While on the subject, it would also be 10/10 if there was a stylus for the phones... Procreate Pocket doesn't hit the same without it, and neither does note taking. Thank you!

Jan 19, 2024 7:15 AM in response to ibookgeek

ibookgeek wrote:

Apple does not read here in this user-to-user forum for feedback or suggestions. You can, however, let them know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Meanwhile, any journal app that only stores your data on the device should be pretty secure. And, really, at this point, the Journal app is pretty rudimentary. Notes on your iPad would be a reasonable option.

Apr 3, 2024 8:45 AM in response to pominoz

Yes, I would LOVE the journal app for the iPad, especially with the ability to use the Apple Pencil. I much prefer using paper journals, but am trying to find a low waste alternative. I’ve used the journal app on my phone, but I have an iPhone mini and find typing on it for journaling frustrating. Overall I like the app and I’m looking forward to improvements! Like an iPad app :)

Jan 24, 2024 12:59 PM in response to rosangela259

rosangela259 wrote:

Please have the app JOURNAL recently launched available on IPad million customers will use it… Oh well every one able to use a keyboard

As previously noted, not once but twice in this thread, Apple doesn't read her in this user-to-user forum for feedback or suggestions. You can, however, let them know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Honestly, right now it's really rudimentary. There are much more capable third party options availble. That's not to say it won't bet better but, if you want to keep a journal now, you can better.

Will there be a journal app on the iPad as there is now on the iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.