iPhone sync hangs at "Preparing to sync".

I have a 13 Pro (iOS 17.2) that I'm trying to sync with a mini M2 (OS 14.2). This was working until the end of Nov. 2023. I have tried rebooting both devices, and deleting all folders in the MobileSync folder. When the Iphone is connected, it will create a backup, then never get past "Preparing To Sync". I have given them an hour to move on to syncing, but have had no success. I am using an Apple cable that is connected directly to both devices, there is no hub involved.

Mac mini, macOS 12.7

Posted on Dec 13, 2023 7:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2023 8:34 AM

Reporting back, as I updated my Mac today from Ventura 13.6.3 to Sonoma 14.2 - to no avail as iPhone sync with Finder still gets stuck at stage 2 'Preparing to sync'. This is happening with 2 iPhones - me and spouse, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro both with iOS 17.2.

Tens or hundreds of US$B in spare cash, and yet shifting onto customers the burden of testing the software through so-called 'beta releases', and yet again managing to deploy a botched release that breaks critical functionality.

I found 2 more threads: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255265364 and https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/16sc6sp/iphone_stuck_on_step_two_preparing_to_sync_phone/

Shutting down my Apple Watch didn't help in any way. Terminating the MDCrashReportTool however did provide a valid work-around. You don't need to fiddle with Terminal or have administrative rights. Just launch Utilities/Activity Monitor, and after your sync operation has gone stuck in stage 2 'Preparing to sync', search for 'crash' in Activity Monitor (see screenshot) then Force-Quit the MDCrashReportTool process (regular Quit won't do) as in Quit an app or process in Activity Monitor on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

iPhone sync was subsequently able to transfer new song tracks to my iPhone, so this looks good so far.

Does this work-around work for you?

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2023 8:34 AM in response to Mike-MBPro

Reporting back, as I updated my Mac today from Ventura 13.6.3 to Sonoma 14.2 - to no avail as iPhone sync with Finder still gets stuck at stage 2 'Preparing to sync'. This is happening with 2 iPhones - me and spouse, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro both with iOS 17.2.

Tens or hundreds of US$B in spare cash, and yet shifting onto customers the burden of testing the software through so-called 'beta releases', and yet again managing to deploy a botched release that breaks critical functionality.

I found 2 more threads: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255265364 and https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/16sc6sp/iphone_stuck_on_step_two_preparing_to_sync_phone/

Shutting down my Apple Watch didn't help in any way. Terminating the MDCrashReportTool however did provide a valid work-around. You don't need to fiddle with Terminal or have administrative rights. Just launch Utilities/Activity Monitor, and after your sync operation has gone stuck in stage 2 'Preparing to sync', search for 'crash' in Activity Monitor (see screenshot) then Force-Quit the MDCrashReportTool process (regular Quit won't do) as in Quit an app or process in Activity Monitor on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

iPhone sync was subsequently able to transfer new song tracks to my iPhone, so this looks good so far.

Does this work-around work for you?

Dec 21, 2023 10:35 AM in response to Stephan-S

Yup, force-quitting the MDCrashReportTool process in Activity Monitor instantly solves the problem. This may have been mentioned in the comments already, but it has to be done each and every time I sync the phone. But hey, at least I can still sync it!

I'm on iOS 17.1.2 at the moment. I see in other comments that the 17.2 update didn't fix the bug. Anyone know if the just-released 17.2.1 fixes it?

Thanks!

DM

Dec 16, 2023 6:43 AM in response to Mike-MBPro

Same here. iPhone 11 Pro (iOS 17.2), iMac 2020 27" (Ventura 13.6.3), Finder sync is stuck at stage 2 'Preparing to sync'. This had gotten slow with iOS 17 where stage 2 took a lot longer time compared to before, but now with iOS 17.2 this just doesn't complete at all.

Would that be because I have 38 GB of CD music sync'ed from my Mac (~4000 songs)? I can imagine Apple developers not using Mac-iPhone music sync anymore, streaming music instead from Apple Music, but if they're not using the product to its fullest anymore, no wonder it falls back onto customers to realise the misery. Maybe a majority of developers doesn't even know what a CD is.

This feels familiar. I had a similar situation a few years ago with Finder backup of iPhone being impractical together with iCloud Photo Library - Computer backup of iPhone incorrectly inc… - Apple Community - and Apple support unable/unwilling to help despite multiple hours on the phone. So I had to abandon Finder backup. But today I cannot abandon local CD Music sync, that is out of the question. This feels ominous, I hope Apple isn't quietly coercing us into choosing between Apple and our CD library with the final nail in the coffin for iPod-like music sync flow.

PS: there is a similar thread on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleMusic/comments/18gj9t2/iphone_stuck_on_preparing_to_sync_for_hours/ but the work-around they found was to terminate some Windows version of an Apple utility (MDCrashReportTool.exe) - I wonder if there's an equivalent process on MacOS that we could similarly try to terminate and see if that unlocks the sync process. Anybody, an idea?

Dec 15, 2023 11:34 AM in response to Mike-MBPro

It just gets stuck in getting ready to sync. I don’t know what specifically has been backed up but updating play counts and ratings on my music is important to me too as I have smart lists based on these types of parameters. Apple needs to address the original question instead of assuming Wi-Fi doesn’t work. This is post 17.2. That should be the focus.

Jan 3, 2024 10:52 PM in response to Stephan-S

Thank you Stephen-S, that was a fantastic suggestion.

Was getting so frustrated, and wasting time, because last week syncing was going fine with my iPhone 15ProMax to my iMac (High Sierra) and when i tried today, it kept getting stuck at "Preparing to Sync".

Back ups went fine until that process. Restarting both the iPhone and iMac made no difference.

Immediately when I force quit the MDCrashReportTool as suggested (I realise you have to hit the X in the circle at the top left of the activity window) the sync process chugged along until completion with no delays.

Thank you!

Also i concur with Doctormelodius : you have to do this every time you sync. So keep Activity Monitor in easy reach folks! Grrr!

Dec 13, 2023 10:43 PM in response to Mike-MBPro

Your device is probably not connected to the internet. There are a few steps you can take to verify the connectivity of your device.

You may test the internet connectivity in two ways...

1. Firstly, you can open a web browser on your device. When you open a web browser, the initial page that loads is typically based on your browsing history or cookies. To further confirm the connection, you can tap on any link on that website. If the link opens and displays the corresponding content, it confirms that your device is indeed connected to the internet.
  2. Another method to check internet connectivity is by opening a specific application that requires an internet connection. WhatsApp is an example of such an application. When you launch WhatsApp, it immediately attempts to establish a connection with its servers to synchronize your chats and display any new messages. If you can see your chat conversations and receive real-time updates, it indicates that your device is connected to the internet.

Connecting to Wi-Fi is the initial step, followed by establishing an internet connection.

However, it's important to note that connecting to Wi-Fi does not automatically guarantee an internet connection. In the event that you are unable to connect to Wi-Fi, the issue may stem from settings on your iPhone or the router/modem.

On the other hand, if you are unable to establish an internet connection despite being connected to Wi-Fi, the problem is likely related to the settings on your router/modem. In such cases, it is advisable to promptly contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for assistance.

Check your WiFi Router / Modem for --> Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points ...

Connecting to Wifi is the first part and then getting connected to the Internet is the second

1. If you connect to Wifi, doesn't necessarily mean you are connected to the internet. If you are not connected to wifi could be a problem with iPhone settings or Router/Modem Settings
  2. If you are not connected to the internet is the sole issue of Router / Modem Settings. Contact your ISP immediately

For your Internet connection.

• Over Cellular: contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider). The agency who issued the SIM to you
  • Over WiFI: Contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider), the agency who provided the Internet Service on your Modem/Router to you

However --> Connect iPhone to the Internet - Apple Support

Jan 4, 2024 5:27 AM in response to Doctormelodious

Doctormelodious wrote:

Yup, force-quitting the MDCrashReportTool process in Activity Monitor instantly solves the problem. This may have been mentioned in the comments already, but it has to be done each and every time I sync the phone. But hey, at least I can still sync it!

I'm on iOS 17.1.2 at the moment. I see in other comments that the 17.2 update didn't fix the bug. Anyone know if the just-released 17.2.1 fixes it?

Thanks!
DM

It did not.

Dec 16, 2023 7:01 AM in response to Mike-MBPro

Mike-MBPro wrote:

You may be on the right track with photos being part of the problem. I forgot to mention in my original post that when I connect the iPhone, the Mac is automatically opening the Photos app. I do not use iCloud for photo syncing between devices.

I believe you might easily override that behavior, if that is what you want. See Import photos from a camera or phone using Photos on Mac – Apple Support (UK) and uncheck the Open Photos tickbox.

Not sure Photos are related. I was only mentioning this other past experience because it feels like Apple employees are no longer checking that iPhone sync through USB is still working as expected or even documented.

iPhone sync hangs at "Preparing to sync".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.