Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

My 2017 Imac Purchased 2021 is running unconscionably slow.

I am running Big Sur 11.7.9, prefering not to upgrade as my photography software has trouble working whenever I run later versions.

I have done a clean install and still just as slow. Have talked to Applecare mutliple times (I have the 3 year plan) and have run first aid and diagnositics with no problems diagnosed. I have 250 GB free on a 1T drive.

A friend of mine has also a 2017 imac purchased 2021 (she upgraded to ventura) with the same identical problem.

Please...cannot work wit such a slow computer. For example WORD takes 10 min to open, etc. All apps same problem. Any thoughts appreciated. Any software solutions? Or is it hardware repair time? Apple is saying they can't do home repair even tho its in my contract. (I can't lift this computer)

thanks in advance for any help.

Carol

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 16, 2023 8:35 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

May 11, 2024 2:36 PM in response to Carola2

Assuming that you replaced the failing 5400 rpm HDD with another 5400 rpm HDD, you might want to put your rebuilt Big Sur system on an external SSD (in a USB 3.0 or better enclosure).

Whether you do that or not, you should keep a backup – either a Time Machine backup, or a bootable clone one (made with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!). There's a saying about drives (whether HDDs or SSDs) that it isn't a question of WHETHER they will fail, but of WHEN.

Note that when the time comes to migrate to a new Mac, you can migrate from a Time Machine backup or from a bootable clone backup. Often it is convenient to do so, and it's better to do it that way than to try to migrate over Wi-Fi.

Dec 16, 2023 9:08 AM in response to Carola2

There can be multiple caused, first is it may have a failing HD or it could be a software issue. Please start by doing the following:

It will help us get a good idea of what is causing your problem if you provide a report of your system, that way we do not have to play 20 questions with you. The report we are requesting does NOT provide any personal information and is extremely safe to use. Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211 It is helpful to us if you download the report to your Desktop.

Dec 16, 2023 5:31 PM in response to Carola2

Carol,

We need the complete report, however based on what I see I think your HD is failing and needs replacement. What most people are doing with older iMacs is (yours is soon to be 7 years old) is to go with an External SSD and use that as your boot drive. You can click the following link for instructions. However before you do ANYTHING please make sure you are backing up using Time Machine and ensure your backup works !!!

May 10, 2024 4:29 PM in response to Carola2

Back from the Apple Store and a new hard drive, this time with Big Sur installed again. Last week I brought it home with Ventura installed and it crashed when I migrated my previous data back via Time Machine. Was told Ventura might be the culprit and to make Ventura run on my old machine, I would have to treat it as a new install and re-download all my software (half of it is not available any more). I prefer to keep my old software (which won't run on any version higher than Big Sur) and will migrate my data back incrementally, same with apps. In a few months when my guarantee runs out I may purchase a new iMac. Any advice on transferring stuff back? I don't want it to crash again! That would necessitate a 3rd trip tot he Apple store. 50 mi away. Any advice on transferring the old data? Thanks in advance. (Its a 1TB drive, my data is 750 gig but I won't transfer it all maybe 500 gig.)

My 2017 Imac Purchased 2021 is running unconscionably slow.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.