Macbook pro screen broken but no damage - second time

I left my Macbook Pro on while watching a movie and I fell asleep. The laptop didn’t fall or hit anything but when I woke up and tried to turn it back on (charged it to just to check) there's rainbow lines and something that looks like a crack but the screen/glass itself isn’t damaged. It does turn on as I hear the sound, and I use to see the apple logo but now when I try I don’t.

The problem is this has happened before. I took it to an approved repair store and they wanted to charge me £600-1000 (half the price I paid for it) and it was just over a year old at that point so I was just over the warrenty. Spoke to Apple and fair enough they said don’t worry we’ll fix it free of charge, which they did. It’s now another year on and the same thing has happened. I don’t think I can go the same route of emailing apple to get a fix and may have to pay the price to get it fixed but why is this happening? Is this a common problem for Apple? Am I doing something wrong? Why would Apple fix something for it to break less than a year later?

Edit: When I sent it in for repair the first time I paid £100 for a diagnostic check and they said it was a fault in the hardware and not that the actual glass screen was broken. I’m assuming that this is the case again.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Dec 22, 2023 8:47 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Dec 22, 2023 9:56 AM in response to elmewhy

elmewhy wrote:

I left my Macbook Pro on while watching a movie and I fell asleep. The laptop didn’t fall or hit anything but when I woke up and tried to turn it back on (charged it to just to check) there's rainbow lines and something that looks like a crack but the screen/glass itself isn’t damaged. It does turn on as I hear the sound, and I use to see the apple logo but now when I try I don’t.

The problem is this has happened before. I took it to an approved repair store and they wanted to charge me £600-1000 (half the price I paid for it) and it was just over a year old at that point so I was just over the warrenty. Spoke to Apple and fair enough they said don’t worry we’ll fix it free of charge, which they did. It’s now another year on and the same thing has happened. I don’t think I can go the same route of emailing apple to get a fix and may have to pay the price to get it fixed but why is this happening? Is this a common problem for Apple? Am I doing something wrong? Why would Apple fix something for it to break less than a year later?

Edit: When I sent it in for repair the first time I paid £100 for a diagnostic check and they said it was a fault in the hardware and not that the actual glass screen was broken. I’m assuming that this is the case again.

Get your mac repaired and how much will it cost

Mac Repair & Service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Macbook pro screen broken but no damage - second time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.