Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Sound on Bluetooth cutting out randomly

I recently switched from Pixel to the iPhone 15 Pro, and it's been mostly great, but for some reason my audio continues to cut out randomly. It doesn't happen with any static, the audio just goes silent for about 1 second, and then it goes back to normal. I haven't noticed any pattern either, and I've noticed it in multiple apps (including Spotify, Apple Music, TikTok). I only use my phone with airpods, so it's not a speaker problem, and I know it's not my airpods because I've had them for almost a year, using them with my android phone, and I don't think I've had this issue, certainly not this much.

This is really starting to drive me crazy, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

iPhone 15 Pro

Posted on Dec 30, 2023 7:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2024 5:14 AM

Over the past year there are hundreds of posts on this site with the same issue. These solutions you gave are not related at all to 99.99% of those. The pattern is BT connections while mobile. Either walking with earphones and your phone on your body or in the car connected to the car’s audio.

For many it happens consistently at certain locations on a route. Non apple phones with the same audio devices don’t have an issue, only late model iPhone 13 and later.

The problems have been reported for over a year and any response I’ve seen has mirrored your unhelpful suggestions, while Apple has been silent.

There is a serious problem with iPhone Bluetooth function and no one is addressing it.

Similar questions

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2024 5:14 AM in response to aidanww

Over the past year there are hundreds of posts on this site with the same issue. These solutions you gave are not related at all to 99.99% of those. The pattern is BT connections while mobile. Either walking with earphones and your phone on your body or in the car connected to the car’s audio.

For many it happens consistently at certain locations on a route. Non apple phones with the same audio devices don’t have an issue, only late model iPhone 13 and later.

The problems have been reported for over a year and any response I’ve seen has mirrored your unhelpful suggestions, while Apple has been silent.

There is a serious problem with iPhone Bluetooth function and no one is addressing it.

Feb 25, 2024 5:10 AM in response to SravanKrA

I keep hearing the same ole song and dance about so called interference and distance and battery. Its not any of that my Samsung and Google pixels rarely ever cut out no matter what, it's iPhone's that cut out continuously because every time I get an iPhone no matter the model from 7 to 15 Pro they all cut out on all music streamers I have tried. So enough of the lame excuses. Just except iPhones have terrible Bluetooth connections and has nothing to do with me not liking iPhones because they are solid phones and I love them equally with Android phones, but I know that iPhones have the weaker Bluetooth signals and it's the same with any Bluetooth headphones cause I don't know everything or even a lot but from my experience Android phone's have the better Bluetooth connections guaranteed.

Apr 26, 2024 2:06 PM in response to aidanww

I have had this issue for months. My phone is 15 Pro Max and it stays up to date. I have bluetooth earbuds that are Apple and Bose and it makes no difference. I had read about it being caused by the Renpho app so I turned off bluetooth for it. Then it's started again worse than ever and I have no idea what's causing it. Alexa's bluetooth was already turned off so that one didn't make a difference for me. It happens at home and it happens when I'm walking -- on many different apps with audio. I am an Apple fan but for what these phones cost they certainly should work correctly! Such a frustrating problem!!!

Dec 31, 2023 12:47 AM in response to aidanww

Bluetooth interference can potentially cause connectivity issues due to the disruption of the wireless communication between devices. Bluetooth operates in the 2.4 GHz frequency range, which is also used by various other devices such as Wi-Fi routers, microwaves, cordless phones, and even some baby monitors. When multiple devices are operating nearby and using the same frequency band, interference can occur.

Here's how Bluetooth interference can impact connectivity:

1. When you're streaming music via Apple Music or using Siri to play audio content, Bluetooth interference can disrupt the connection between your device (such as an iPhone) and the Bluetooth speaker or headphones. This interference can result in the audio stuttering, dropping out momentarily, or experiencing poor sound quality.
  2. Bluetooth devices transmit data in packets. Interference can cause some of these packets to be lost or corrupted during transmission. As a result, the receiving device may have trouble decoding the audio or Siri commands correctly, leading to stuttering or delayed responses.
  3. Bluetooth signals can be weakened by interference from other devices operating on the same frequency band. If the signal strength drops significantly, it can affect the stability of the connection between your device and the Bluetooth accessory. This can result in intermittent stuttering as the connection struggles to maintain a consistent data flow.
  4. Bluetooth uses different channels within the 2.4 GHz frequency range to establish connections. When there are many Bluetooth devices nearby, multiple connections can create congestion on the available channels. This congestion can cause interference, leading to degraded performance for Apple Music streaming or Siri interactions.

To mitigate Bluetooth interference issues and reduce stuttering:

1. Minimize the number of active Bluetooth devices near each other. Switch off or move away devices that are not in use or causing interference.
  2. Increase the distance between your Bluetooth devices (e.g., your iPhone and Bluetooth speaker/headphones) to reduce the impact of interference.
  3. Keep your devices' firmware up to date, including your iPhone and any Bluetooth accessories. Manufacturers often release firmware updates that can improve the performance and stability of Bluetooth connections.
  4. Objects like walls, furniture, or large metal surfaces can obstruct Bluetooth signals and contribute to interference. Ensure a clear line of sight between your devices to optimize signal strength.
  5. Some Bluetooth devices allow you to manually switch to different channels within the 2.4 GHz range. Check the user manual or settings of your Bluetooth accessory to see if you can change channels to find a less congested one.
  6. If your Wi-Fi router supports it, consider using the 5 GHz frequency band for Wi-Fi connections instead of 2.4 GHz. This can reduce potential interference between Bluetooth and Wi-Fi signals.

By implementing these steps, you can help minimize Bluetooth interference and improve the overall performance while playing music.

Apr 11, 2024 2:27 AM in response to aidanww

I conducted a little experiment over the few days. I walk 8 miles daily. I do the same route each day.

one day 1 I connected my beats to my 15 pro. and on day 2 I connected my Apple AirPods. The results were the same. Over a 2 hour period they were affected 40-45 times by “interference “ on days 3 & 4 I only used my Apple Watch Ultra and didn’t take my phone with me. On these days I got absolutely no interference or interruption at all.

it’s also worth nothing that I live in the English countryside and my walks take me through cow & sheep fields and along a canal.

so the only conclusion I can come to is that the Bluetooth connection on the iPhone 1( pro is P*** poor.

I never had this issue when I had the 13 pro max.

Mar 16, 2024 12:47 AM in response to iPhonePetei

I’m curious as well.

My issue actually started on my iPhone 11 Pro Max about three years ago.

My Bluetooth audio would just sputter and/or go out completely for a few seconds at a time. This occurs randomly. I might have 15 minutes uninterrupted and then have 15 minutes of continuous interruption.

I was so hopeful when I upgraded to the iPhone 13 Pro Max when it came out. But, it carried over.

I started to realize that it happened any time I used Bluetooth. It goes both ways.. I would be talking on the phone and people kept telling me that I was cutting out but I didn’t have troubles on my end. Then my audio started cutting out a few seconds later.

This problem has completely rendered my ability to rely on Bluetooth with my phone. I can’t even switch phone calls over to my Mac and use my Mac to talk.. same problem.

I have AirPods 1 and 2, AirPods Pro 1 and 2, And AirPods Max. It’s the same story on everyone one of them with my iPhone.

However, they all work flawlessly with my Mac and three different Apple TVs.

The fact that this problem persisted from iPhone 11 to 13 has me holding out on upgrading. I’ve decided to wait until the iPhone 16.

I sincerely hope someone figures this out!!

Apr 18, 2024 5:00 AM in response to aidanww

Just chiming in to say I’m having the same issue. Recently upgraded to 15 pro from an SE 2020. My SE had no issues with Bluetooth connectivity. It seems to happen more so when the phone is in my pocket vs sitting on our table or counter. My son does have a glucose monitor and insulin pump that are managed via Bluetooth on a galaxy s23 but like I said, never an issue before switching phones. Annoyed since I use it daily to play music in our home through our soundbar. This makes me a sad panda.

Apr 20, 2024 8:55 AM in response to aidanww

OMG, I LOVE YOU!!! Stupid Alexa app, this totally fixed it for me. Thank you!!

LOL I made Tesla take apart my car and test everything with the Bluetooth module. I just tried it on my wife’s Tesla, and when it also kept cutting out on her car, and because it doesn’t do it with her iPhone or our kid’s iPad, it made me curious and search up the answer on Google. It definitely is an iPhone issue, and more specifically, the Alexa app. I almost considered swapping car manufacturers because of this. My bad.

Go to your iPhone Settings > Alexa > then turn off Bluetooth.

Mar 25, 2024 7:26 AM in response to aidanww

I have had this problem for years when connecting my iPhone 11 Pro to my carkit, later my iPhone 13 Pro, and now my iPhone 15 Pro

It's driving me nuts, I'm not allowed to use my phone while driving, so I have to use my carkit, but when I do the other side can't hear what I'm saying

My girlfriend owns a cheap Samsung, and that works perfectly with the same carkit

The stuttering happens when I'm alone in the car, so it's not interference from her phone

Sound on Bluetooth cutting out randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.