You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Disable app store asking for password at every install

I set-up a new iPhone for my child and added in Family.

The problem I have is that every time my child installs something from App Store, the application keep asking to sign-in with password.

I disable everything I could (ask to buy, app store password from Media&Purchases, enable/disable faceId, enable/disable iMessage and FaceTime, etc.) and App Store keep asking for my password.

I don't know what else to do right now to disable this.

On all devices I have iOS 16.6 and I don't want to upgrade to 17 considering the bad experiences a lot of people have.

Can someone help me with a solution to stop AppStore asking for password?

Thank you.

Posted on Dec 31, 2023 4:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 24, 2024 9:34 PM

After fussing with this for a while, I found this is what worked for me:

Settings

Face ID & Passcode

Use face ID for:

iTunes & App Store - turn off and on

It asked for my Apple ID password

Once entered, Face recognition worked.

Hope it is this easy for you.

20 replies

Dec 31, 2023 5:47 AM in response to accexpert

I’ve found a solution that’s worked for me.

1. Go into Face ID & Passcode
  2. disable everything in ‘Use Face ID for’
  3. Reset Face ID
  4. re-enable all Face ID settings
  5. Sign out of Apple ID and sign back in again.
  6. in Apple ID, Media & Purchases select Always Require Password and require password for free downloads.

Dec 31, 2023 5:18 AM in response to accexpert

There are various threads on this with multiple users having the same problem (including me). I contacted Apple Support who said it was a known issue with other users experiencing the same thing. There have been a dozen different solutions offered - none of which appear to work for me, most of which you have appeared to try. Have you tried signing out/in of your account in your phone?

Jan 1, 2024 10:48 PM in response to accexpert

Yeah. Nothing works.

And now I notice that I have the same problem on my Mac. Until recently, I can install what I want from AppStore on my Mac without any problem, now it keep asking for account and password.

At the same time, I notice also that iMessage is no longer syncing between iPhone and Mac.

I'm starting to regret that I'm on Apple ecosystem because it seems that since Steve Jobs die there is no concern for users or the flawlessness of ecosystem. I'm starting to feel like a pro-bono QA for Apple and I don't like it. They should fix their issues before releasing new version with more bugs which annoys users. Such a shame.

I have iOS version 16+ on all devices and MacOS Monterey on my Mac and I don't want to update to the latest version because they already have all sorts of bugs reported by many users which are not fixed. I hope that they didn't break services for user with one point older version of OS in their rush to release a new buggy version of newer OS's.

Considering that more and more services are buggy (because hardware is way behind their competitors, services is what they were good for and the reason their customers choses them), their prices are very high right now. Such a shame.

Jan 27, 2024 2:45 PM in response to accexpert

We have to enter the child's apple id multiple times before it will Ask to Buy will work. I spent hours trying to make this happen, just to download a few apps with my daughter so she can be up and running on her ipad and new apple id.

I've been an Mac apple user for over 20 years, and I am tech savvy. But the iPad and iPhone experience has been such a challenge. I always have apple id issues and endless verification loops, but if I log into icloud.com on a browser it works fine. There is a big issue, bug or something in the Apple ID server that trips things up within the apple devices. Macbooks too. I am seriously ready to ditch the ipads and go to the Google Pixel tablet. Android is so much more intuitive and settings/notifications works as it should. I love macs, but the apple universe is too cluncky and buggy.

Dec 31, 2023 5:25 AM in response to accexpert

The last workaround I was offered by Apple Support before they handed me back to a chatbot was to reset all settings - that didn’t work either, so basically a waste of time.

Disable app store asking for password at every install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.