Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Cant sign in my gmail due iphone verfication prompt

Hi

i have an issue regarding my gmail account

I recently changed my iphone and sold my previous phone also i make sure to sign out my apple id and factory reset that phone before selling it off

Now the problem arise when i try to login my certain gmail account it says google have sent a verification prompt to my previous phone(iphone xs)which I don’t have it in possession and I don’t quite remember the password So i tried to reach to the person who bought it from me and i check that phone throughly there were no traces of my gmail account and also it says open the youtube app to confirm but my gmail it wasnt logged in

so if if there’s anything im missing such if you don’t remove gmail before resetting it remains somewhere in that phone also that old has a different apple id now

iPhone 12, iOS 17

Posted on Jan 10, 2024 7:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2024 1:09 PM

try disabling the old device in the settings, or try getting to your email via your phone number

11 replies

Jan 10, 2024 9:10 AM in response to haneef49

Well, if you don’t know the Google password you are stuck. You can go to Google’s support site, where you can find instructions for resetting your password, then set up 2 factor authentication, then add the account to your iPhone. But this is entirely a Google problem, not an iPhone problem so Google support is a better place to find a solution.

May 3, 2024 5:51 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I'm having a similar issue. I recently switched carriers and upgraded my phone to the 15 pro. My gmail is working but When I open the Google app to sign in, the verification method is not giving me the option to text my phone. It sends a number code to my Google app which is the app im already in. When I tried from my MacBook the code isn't on my Google app on my phone because I'm not signed in. So I'm in the frustrating circle. I've deleted the app restarted my phone downloaded the app again. My old phone is signed out of erased and set to factory settings. I'm stumped.

Apr 25, 2024 10:23 PM in response to haneef49

Same problem here and you don't need your old iphone. GMAIL is in the cloud so any other device with GMAIL will receive the authenticator prompt.

What worked for us.

1. Delete the GMAIL app from the home screen of the new iphone and re-installed it from the APPS store.
  2. Update the Google Chrome APP if it needs it.
  3. Once installed open GMAIL APP and sign in.
  4. The authenticator prompt should appear on any other device which has GMAIL ie. PC , ipad etc (no need for old iphone).
  5. Select YES it was you and gmail will then be available on the new iphone.
  6. Good luck!

Apr 26, 2024 7:29 PM in response to haneef49

In case anyone else is reading this. The same thing happened to me. Instead of turning 2 step authentication off - I went into Manage your google account>security>your devices. My old iPhone was still showing there even though I had reset it to factory settings. I logged out of that device on the laptop and tried again and was able to authenticate my gmail.

May 1, 2024 12:08 PM in response to JDPell

Still not working. 2 factor authentication has me in a loop. When I try to log into google on computer it says to get code from phone. When I try to log into google on the phone it also says to get a code from my phone. I'm stuck in a loop where I cannot get the authentication code to log into google. The war between apple/microsoft and google is just getting very very annoying.

Cant sign in my gmail due iphone verfication prompt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.