Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

WIFI Issues with Macbook M3 Max

I have several macbooks but for some reason my internet is terrible with my new Macbook Pro M3 Max. Its making me regret getting it. I spent so much money on it, for work, and its causing massive delays. I have contacted my internet provider. They have been out, updated my equipment, and I am still experiencing issues; to the point my facetime won't answer. My other (intel i9) Macbook is not having this issue nor other devices sitting in the same exact area as the new computer.

I am up-to-date on my software and have restarted the computer several times. I am not sure what else to do. I have 1gbps internet speed; I average 400mbps where the computer is located. I am only 12 ft from the router. Again, my other computer is not experiencing this issue. I am not sure what else to do.

Posted on Jan 15, 2024 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2024 3:55 PM

I’ve started experiencing this issue as well with an M3 Max MacBook that I purchased brand new not two months ago. I’m six feet from the router, but the MacBook fails to find an internet connection even though wifi shows itself connected to the router. My M2 work MacBook has no problems.

Resetting the router, restarting the laptop, forgetting the network, reconnecting to the network - none of it works. The MacBook might come back online only for the internet to stop working a few minutes later, or it might not come back online at all. Worse I can’t seem to connect to my phone’s personal hotspot either.

It is a problem with the computer. Either some piece of the WiFi hardware is failing two months after purchase or the OS has a serious WiFi bug in it.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2024 3:55 PM in response to Kelly duff

I’ve started experiencing this issue as well with an M3 Max MacBook that I purchased brand new not two months ago. I’m six feet from the router, but the MacBook fails to find an internet connection even though wifi shows itself connected to the router. My M2 work MacBook has no problems.

Resetting the router, restarting the laptop, forgetting the network, reconnecting to the network - none of it works. The MacBook might come back online only for the internet to stop working a few minutes later, or it might not come back online at all. Worse I can’t seem to connect to my phone’s personal hotspot either.

It is a problem with the computer. Either some piece of the WiFi hardware is failing two months after purchase or the OS has a serious WiFi bug in it.

Apr 26, 2024 11:53 AM in response to juanabrams

juanabrams wrote:

This has to be a wifi modem issue. I cannot even AirDrop something from my iPhone to my Mac. It first says "Waiting" and after a while it says "Declined" when if it's my Apple ID I don't even need to authorize and if I need to approve I'm not even getting a notification on the Mac to accept or decline. But I don't remember this happening in the beginning so maybe it's one of the software updates

If your local network routing is incorrect, then all sorts of misbehavior is possible.

Check the Wi-Fi router firmware and update to the latest, and restart the Wi-Fo router.

If you have both wired and wireless, then using two subnets is a common choice, or the Wi-Fi router has to present the Wi-Fi as an access point and not routed.

If you have more than one Wi-Fi router, you either must use multiple subnets, or all of your Wi-Fi routers must be reconfigured as access points, or you need to switch over to a mesh mode id that’s supported.

Apr 6, 2024 4:13 PM in response to BMC1391

gosh that sounds like a problem. You should post your Option Wifi snapshot for analysis.

or run wirelss diagnostics

Once the wireless daignositcs window is open, these c-hoices are available on its Utilities menu:

you could use the Monitor function, to see what is happening when its drops

or the Performance widow to see if your. performance is stable or wobbly

Apr 16, 2024 4:51 PM in response to Kelly duff

very often how fast you can run depends on thing is your "network neighborhood" that are not under your control.

if you neighbors change the channels they are using, sometimes that clobbers your performance.

This screenshot from WiFi Explorer, an inexpensive utility with a free trial period, can give you additional insights into what might be going on. This is an example of how crowded the Spectrum around you can get:

nobody in this example is getting much done today.

Apr 5, 2024 5:40 AM in response to wwx2

these newer computer use more modern modulation techniques, and their operating characteristics may change because of that. At the same time, your neighbors are doing upgrades, changing what data channels they are using, and may be clobbering you data in new and unforeseen ways.

I answer many of these queries when posted on the MacBook Pro forums. [in my opinion] there is no such uptick in problems, and almost without exception the problem is not in the newer hardware supplied with these Macs.

Please post your Option Wi-Fi snapshot values for an analysis.

Apr 26, 2024 9:39 AM in response to Kelly duff

This has to be a wifi modem issue. I cannot even AirDrop something from my iPhone to my Mac. It first says "Waiting" and after a while it says "Declined" when if it's my Apple ID I don't even need to authorize and if I need to approve I'm not even getting a notification on the Mac to accept or decline. But I don't remember this happening in the beginning so maybe it's one of the software updates

WIFI Issues with Macbook M3 Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.