📢 Newsroom Update

Apple Intelligence comes to iPhone, iPad, and Mac starting next month. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple debuts iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max. Learn more >

iPhone's Face ID not working since 17.2.1 update

Since update 17.2.1 the FaceID will not work. I have tried to reset it but now it won’t even allow me to start setting up. The camera just sits on the “Fit your face into the frame” screen

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 17, 2024 1:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2024 2:30 PM

I find it fascinating how, right after there is an OS upgrade--and thousands are experiencing the same problem--Apple will assert that it is something other than the OS upgrade. It's not a freaking hardware issue. It happened the very morning after I was automatically upgraded to iOS 17.5.1.

Now, for those of you experiencing the same thing, I can share that--although the Face ID setup just wouldn't work no matter how many times I tried it and no matter how many times I restarted my phone--it just did now, later in the day, approximately the 8th time I tried it. So I guess: just keep trying.

18 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 10, 2024 2:30 PM in response to ChrisF_91

I find it fascinating how, right after there is an OS upgrade--and thousands are experiencing the same problem--Apple will assert that it is something other than the OS upgrade. It's not a freaking hardware issue. It happened the very morning after I was automatically upgraded to iOS 17.5.1.

Now, for those of you experiencing the same thing, I can share that--although the Face ID setup just wouldn't work no matter how many times I tried it and no matter how many times I restarted my phone--it just did now, later in the day, approximately the 8th time I tried it. So I guess: just keep trying.

Jan 19, 2024 10:40 AM in response to ChrisF_91

Same problem here. I did a tech support chat (after trying all the online troubleshooting issues) and they did a remote diagnostic test which came up with nothing. I mentioned how it happened right after the last update and they agreed it could be the issue but then suggested bringing it in for service. I did schedule a service appointment but postponed it a couple weeks, thinking it'll fix itself with the next update. Glad it's next week, hopefully it solves it!

Jun 25, 2024 10:03 AM in response to JonathanLockwood

It did it almost simultaneously on both my iPhone 15 Pro Max and my iPad Pro after the last update. I restart, reset the Face ID, restarted again and it will work for maybe an hour. The worst part is that you can see this faint Face ID icon that appears on the top camera bar and tell it is stuck in some kind of Face ID thinking loop as it won't easily bring up the passcode prompt until after it decides to give up

Jan 17, 2024 1:35 PM in response to ChrisF_91

If Face ID is not working because of a software bug, restarting your iPhone or iPad may be enough to fix the problem. If nothing works, it's best to reset your Face ID and set it up again. Go to Settings > Face ID and passcode and tap Reset Face ID.

if it’s still not working refer to If Face ID isn’t working on your iPhone or iPad Pro – Apple Support (UK)

iPhone's Face ID not working since 17.2.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.