Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Update to 17.3 Fails With Error. macOS Ventura.

MacBook Air 15-inch M2 2023 running Ventura 13.6.3 AND 13.6.4

So, while running 13.6.3 I launched Software Update to install updates for Safari and macOS.

Safari failed to install immediately, though the download seemed to go just fine. This while still running 13.6.3

Ventura.

The update to Ventura 13.6.4 went off without a hitch, so I again tried the update for Safari.

The Safari update failed once more.

Next, I rebooted in Safe mode and tried the Safari update a third time. Still no joy.

Once more booted normally and one more attempt to install the Safari update still didn't work.

Each failure was accompanied by this error message:

I run no VPN, anti-virus or other such apps.

The machine otherwise seems to be running fine.

Has anyone got any suggestions for correcting this?

Thx.

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Jan 22, 2024 8:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2024 7:44 PM

Interesting. I wonder if it's M2 specific since all the reports so far seem to be for M2 Macs. I have the same problem on my M2 Mac Studio, but it updated just fine on my M1 MacBook Pro. I also ran the update on a 2017 Intel iMac at work and had no problems there either. These are all running Ventura and the 13.6.4 update installed just fine, including the Safari Technology Preview 187 that was just released.

Similar questions

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2024 7:44 PM in response to Lukas

Interesting. I wonder if it's M2 specific since all the reports so far seem to be for M2 Macs. I have the same problem on my M2 Mac Studio, but it updated just fine on my M1 MacBook Pro. I also ran the update on a 2017 Intel iMac at work and had no problems there either. These are all running Ventura and the 13.6.4 update installed just fine, including the Safari Technology Preview 187 that was just released.

Jan 23, 2024 5:43 AM in response to sevys

Like you, I found a download source for the installer package and tried a manual update, but no joy here either.

This particular line in the Install log seems relevant, but I'm no coder so what do I know?

❝Failed to run script graftCryptex.sh at /Library/Apple/System/Library/InstallerSandboxes/.PKInstallSandboxManager-SystemSoftware/B3D5B954-830B-4331-8F8C-A1A23A46C866.activeSandbox/OpenPath.H5t716/Scripts/com.apple.pkg.Safari17.3VenturaAuto.XiZ2HB/postinstall line 45❞

After that the installer seems to wrap things up and throw the error message GUI.

I think I'll do an OS reinstall and see if that resolves the problem.

Jan 24, 2024 7:00 AM in response to PRP_53

That's an interesting idea, but I wouldn't know how to give full disk access to a package file.

In any case, though, I assume Apple's installer already has full disk access by the nature of the tasks it is required to perform. To say nothing of the fact that the same installer does the OS updates, and that went off just fine.

Thanks for the idea, though I don't think I'll go down that rabbit hole after taking a quick look on the webz about it. 🙂

And still unable to complete this update today.

Jan 24, 2024 7:19 AM in response to Lukas

Yes, yes am very aware of this issue and thank you for bringing it up here

That specific issue seems to be still not acknowledged as exiting, from Apple

Perhaps this and that issues is under investigation ?

Though, traction usually requires a effort on the part of affected users before Apple will commence such things.

Jan 23, 2024 2:39 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Ouch

What follows is from an older question regarding Manually downloading an older Safari.pkg

The Contributor @Eau Rouge explains the details and perhaps some modifications to his method may allow you to do so for Safari 17.3 under Ventura ???

Any Credits, if successful belong to @ Eau Rouge

Where to download just the Safari dmg/pkg - Apple Community

Jan 23, 2024 6:57 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Update:

After reinstalling macOS 13.6.4 which includes Safari 16.6, I ran Software Update again.

Unfortunately I got the same update failure. 🙁

I guess I'm stuck w v16.6 until the next update or until I upgrade to Sonoma, whichever comes first.

I did also run an EtreCheck report, but I see no clear indication of conflicts here.

Jan 23, 2024 5:33 AM in response to PRP_53

Hey, PRP_53, thanks for this.

Though the thread you linked didn't provide a solution, it did prompt some exploration on my part. From my install log I found the location where Software Update was downloading the update from, and with that info was able to download the standalone Safari17.3VenturaAuto.pkg myself. Unfortunately, running the installer manually resulted in the same failure and error message.

The log shows the installer progress and apparently the fail point, too.

I think there's little I can do until this scripting error maybe gets more traction and Apple revises the update package, but I'm not holding my breath.

I could reinstall macOS and try again, and maybe I will do that. But this is just a Safari update and as far as I can tell, Safari isn't broken.

Safari Update to 17.3 Fails With Error. macOS Ventura.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.