iPad Pro Magic Keyboard trackpad cursor disappearing or freezing when closing apps after update to iOS 17.2.3, still present in iOS 17.3

After updating iPad OS to 17.2.3, Magic Keyboard cursor disappears after extended use of any app when closing out apps. Generally will freeze wherever you put the cursor but the trackpad still works. Usually takes a few minutes or so and frantic swiping around on trackpad to have the cursor return.

I have followed all guidelines regarding similar cursor issues in the past, and it is abundantly clear this is an iPad OS bug. I am an engineer and have troubleshot all the basic things I can without needing to be told basic entry level troubleshooting again in the response here in this forum. And no this isn’t a need to go to the Apple Store for a Genius to look at. This is basic entry level OS bug that is present for others, not just in my device.

Please update this bug in the next iPad OS as this is a major bug that is costing productivity.

Posted on Jan 27, 2024 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2024 4:04 AM

After unfortunate extensive research and bug testing due to lack of response or official acknowledgement of this issue, I have identified what scenarios lead to this behavior of the cursor disappearing. This scenario is related to having more than 1 app open with an internet connection for more than a few minutes and going to close out your apps. If you have say a browser app open and another VPN app open for more than a few minutes when you go to close out the apps, when you close out the second to final app the cursor will visibly freeze wherever it is. The cursor is still technically functional as you can see the animations of the cursor moving without the actual cursor circle moving by seeing the apps slightly enlarge like when it moves over it and all gestures work fine. This bug is worse with the amount of time you spend with multiple apps open. This issue isn’t related to any specific app, I’m able to replicate with all apps. If it’s 5 minutes and you go to close out the apps, the cursor stutters for a few seconds then resumes showing full normal operation. If the apps are open for an hour, it may freeze for around 30 seconds then snap back after waiting. If it’s more than an hour with both apps open, this issue has now progressed to needing to be rebooted to resume normal cursor functionality. It will not restore without a hard reboot. Just a thought, please respond this is so frustrating and I don’t know how I can further report this. I’m at a loss, been an Apple user for over 30 years and never had an issue on this scale that was so detrimental to everyday use.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2024 4:04 AM in response to Highsinberg

After unfortunate extensive research and bug testing due to lack of response or official acknowledgement of this issue, I have identified what scenarios lead to this behavior of the cursor disappearing. This scenario is related to having more than 1 app open with an internet connection for more than a few minutes and going to close out your apps. If you have say a browser app open and another VPN app open for more than a few minutes when you go to close out the apps, when you close out the second to final app the cursor will visibly freeze wherever it is. The cursor is still technically functional as you can see the animations of the cursor moving without the actual cursor circle moving by seeing the apps slightly enlarge like when it moves over it and all gestures work fine. This bug is worse with the amount of time you spend with multiple apps open. This issue isn’t related to any specific app, I’m able to replicate with all apps. If it’s 5 minutes and you go to close out the apps, the cursor stutters for a few seconds then resumes showing full normal operation. If the apps are open for an hour, it may freeze for around 30 seconds then snap back after waiting. If it’s more than an hour with both apps open, this issue has now progressed to needing to be rebooted to resume normal cursor functionality. It will not restore without a hard reboot. Just a thought, please respond this is so frustrating and I don’t know how I can further report this. I’m at a loss, been an Apple user for over 30 years and never had an issue on this scale that was so detrimental to everyday use.

Feb 10, 2024 1:58 AM in response to CFIMarco

Thank you for this suggestion. This exact scenario of unplugging keyboard and cycling on/off Bluetooth is working great. Hopefully this will be resolved the next iPadOS update. Still waiting on any response from Apple. Would be great to know as their marketing lead me to believe iPad Pro was a device for professionals that can be a great motivator for working in the Apple Ecosystem. I use this for Logic Pro, one of the reasons I bought this was to be able to edit my work audio files with Apple Pencil and still have an almost laptop experience with the Magic Keyboard. This experience has been frustrating especially with no response from anyone within Apple when this is clearly a wide issue and has been for months now with no resolution.

May 29, 2024 6:14 PM in response to MattFWH

I think this goes to prove this is a fundamental flaw in iOS architecture and a response would confirm that there is a major issue they want to keep secret. Apple would rather stay silent as the Magic Keyboard is a huge selling point for those of us who just wish we could have true touch functionality for Mac OS. This is sickening it has been going on for years. My expectation is if there’s ever an official response to this that we will be told just to change our habits (just keep all apps open no need to close out apps…)

Feb 9, 2024 9:29 AM in response to Highsinberg

I agree with you, I’ve the same issue. I see that to un-freeze the cursor I need to remove the iPad PRO from the Magic Keyboard and turn off / on the bluetooth. Then when I put the iPad back where it belongs, the cursor works. But as you said, it’s pretty frustrating, a bug that on my device started with iOS 17.2 and this bandaid to temporarily fix the frozen cursor is time consuming.

May 24, 2024 11:25 AM in response to Jack_Bodewell

I’m currently working with a Senior Advisor. I’ve sent a screen recording of the issue. I’ve uploaded logging info from the Privacy and Security settings (they send a link)

Now the engineering department is asking me to call when the issue is in progress.

A few days ago the issue happened, called the number they provided. Got a random Senior Advisor spent 15 min explaining the issue. She had no idea what to do.

At this point, I’ve found the address for Apple Corporate in Cupertino (see below) to send a formal complaint. I haven’t found an email address. The only option is to use US mail.

I’m in the process of writing my complaint, now.

I also plan on writing/attaching a Google Review to their corporate office.

Best of luck to you.

Apple

One Apple Park Way

Cupertino, CA 95014

(408) 996-1010

May 29, 2024 5:25 AM in response to Highsinberg

Had this issue on iPad Pro M1, blamed the Logitech keyboard as detaching and reattaching often coincided with the cursor fixing itself. From reading the replies to this question I now understand the issue better. This is still happening with the latest iPad Pro M4 using Apple’s very own ‘Magic’ Keyboard (as in ‘haunted’ I suppose).

Same experience as everyone else: it appears nobody has any clues as to what could possibly be happening under the hood. This makes me curious… The cursor? In 2024? Really? Isn’t it like [that world famous car maker I shall not name] failing to make the button in the driver’s door correctly open and close the windows? How does something so elementary ever decay into bugs nobody knows how to fix?

Not much hope bringing the three-finger click-and-drag gesture to iPadOS by the looks of things. At least they added a double-tap click-and-drag gesture which interferes with other gestures (anotations require clicking to select a text box then clicking to access the text itself, but the two clicks become a double-tap if done too fast).

Why is it again that a device with an M4 chip can ever not run MacOS when the whole Apple Silicon lineup was specifically tailored for MacOS with iPadOS as an afterthought? It lacks a cursor/trackpad? Just give us a virtual trackpad on-screen next to the virtual keyboard that appears when selecting a text box without a physical keyboard connected; make that the default when running MacOS, and make MacOS an optional OS for those of us who need it… (Not going to happen any time soon.) Can you imagine? Using an iPad with bluetooth mouse and keyboard running MacOS, no virtual keyboard or trackpad on screen, and it’s a touch-screen for graphic design on which you can draw with the Apple Pencil… (really the only feature that a MacBook lacks so far).

TL;DR: me too, since Apple Silicon chip M1, still an issue with Apple Silicon chip M4 + Apple Magic Keyboard all of it bright and shiny straight out of the box. (Edit: the 1TB Pro model with the top notch processor, better processor does not fix the issue!)

Feb 28, 2024 1:19 PM in response to Highsinberg

I have an IPad Pro 12.9 5th Generation with Magic Keyboard. The cursor has been randomly freezing in the same upper right quadrant of the screen since approximately December 2023 when I was out of the country. 

I am frustrated beyond words. The problem persists through every IPadOS update around OS 17.0. I currently run IPad 17.3.1. The cursor continues to freeze in the same area or completely disappears.

My cursor is gray with red edge. Very easy to see. 

Restarting is the only ‘temporary’ fix. I have checked settings and every other possible fix that’s been suggested in this community string as well as from Apple Support. 

I contacted Apple Support 12/25/22, 01/04/24, 01/05/24, 01/06/24, 01/16/24. Their suggestions mirrored those in this post. I provided them with Screen recordings showing the problem. Finally, I was sent to the Apple Store.  

Genius Bar 1st visit 01/07/24 Apple Team Member thought it might be malware, completely wiped my IPad clean. I left - the cursor continued to freeze. 

Genius Bar 2nd visit 01/17/24 Apple Team Member suggested replacing the Magic Keyboard.  But, my keyboard wasn’t attached to my AppleCare+. Because… when I purchased a new IPad 12.9 5th Generation 2TB 2 yrs ago, then immediately exchanged it from 2TB to 1TB the keyboard wasn’t reattached to my AppleCare+. The error had to be resolved before the keyboard could be replaced. The Team Member had me call AppleCare+ which I did from the Apple Store. 

During the 2nd visit to the Genius Bar 01/17/24 I kept track of the time, activities in Apple Notes.  I’m dead serious when I say I spent 5 hrs at the Apple Store, of which 2 hours and 10 min was on the phone getting the AppleCare+ corrected. 

I spoke with Spoke Sasha in Apple Care, Josh Senior Advisor, Brittany Sales Department Team, Taylor in AppleCare+, Lafanta Agreement Administration Team.

Ultimately, the process was started to assign my Magic Keyboard to my actual IPad, the Apple Team Member replaced my Magic Keyboard and I left.  

The cursor continued to freeze. But, I postponed working on it until to another issue with AppleCare+ was resolved 02/14/24. 

My cursor continues to freeze or disappear. It’s random whether on an app, website, spreadsheet etc. Sometimes it’s frozen when open my IPAD to sign on. 

Please tells us how we fix the problem.  

Mar 5, 2024 8:58 PM in response to Highsinberg

I have been dealing with this situation for over a month now, and it is very validating to know that I am not alone. Sorry this is so long, this has been an ongoing issue and I have done a lot to try and resolve it, only to be told that it was normal and not a cause for concern.

This issue started at the end of 2023. I bought the Magic Keyboard, iPad Pro 6th Generation with 256GB, and the Apple Pencil 2nd Generation in August for college. I spoke to apple and they helped me decide which iPad would be best for me and my needs. When the cursor started freezing, I thought that it was just an issue that Magic Keyboards had, so I ignored it. I hadn’t had the iPad very long, so I didn’t know if this was odd or not.

The first Apple Chat that I had was on February 4th. This is the first time that I raised concerns about the cursor freezing, after asking others if this was normal. In this chat, they told me to update my iPad. I did, and waited for it to happen again. On February 13th I chatted with apple again, and they told me to force restart my iPad, I did, and it happened again. I contacted apple support again, and they told me to switch keyboards with someone else to see if it was an iPad issue or a keyboard issue.

I switched keyboards with my mom, and that is when I started recording any time that I had a situation where the cursor would freeze. I would take a video showing that the keyboard still worked, but the cursor just wouldn’t move. The issue happened with my iPad and my mom’s keyboard, but it didn’t happen for her with my keyboard, so we determined it was an iPad issue. I made an appointment at the Genius Bar. On February 16th, I went. I couldn’t replicate the issue, but I showed the videos. They decided to wipe my iPad with a computer (hard reset and wipe). This was supposed to completely clean out the iPad.

The issue persisted and I contacted Apple support twice on February 17th due to the issue and they told me to go to the Genius Bar again. So, I made another appointment on February 18th, and that is when they told me they needed to completely replace my iPad. So, my iPad was replaced.

Brand new iPad, set up as new (not an iCloud Backup) it was supposed to be resolved. On February 25th, my new iPad had the cursor freeze again, so I contacted Apple Support. They told me that since this was a “resolved issue” I had to call for assistance. Apple Support called me, and they shared my screen and changed a bunch of my settings that had to do with my cursor.

On March 2, I called Apple again. During this call, they escalated my case and paired me with a supervisor. During this call, the supervisor told me that this was a “processing issue” and was “not a cause for concern” since it didn’t render my iPad completely useless. She said that since in the videos of my cursor freezing my iPad was usually under 50%, the iPad productivity was going to go down, and that is why it wasn’t working properly, that this just happens and is a known problem in iPads and MacBooks. I told her that I traded in my MacBook and old iPad to get this set up, and that I did not accept that this was just “how it was.” According to the supervisor, my iPad could only be expected to work properly when over 50% battery. So, she told me that I would need to get a video of the iPad freezing showing that my iPad was over 50% battery, and then plug in my iPad. If that didn’t fix it, I would need to remove my Apple Pencil. (She also said that since I was using a Magic Keyboard AND a Pencil, that is another reason productivity is going down). She told me that since I could not replicate the iPad freezing she couldn’t do anything, but she would personally be taking over my case. Later that same day, my iPad froze 2 more times. I took videos like she asked and documented this with a voicemail to her.

I realized that this seemed to be happening any time I would exit out of any apps on my iPad. I typically would use Safari and Google Sheets. Sometimes, I would use the split screen and would use the two apps at the same time with nothing else open. Today (March 5) she called me back and said that she heard my voicemail and that it sounds like a “processing issue.” She said that I was running too many things at the same time and that my iPad couldn’t keep up. I told her it was just the two apps and she said that Google Sheets is a third party app and that it could make the cursor freeze. I told her that I could not accept that using two apps was asking too much from my iPad, and how was I expected to do school work if it can’t handle Safari and Sheets? She said that I had to go get an iPad with a 16 core processor. I asked if she was telling me to buy a new iPad and she said “there may be a charge.” I have had this iPad for 7 months, so to tell me to buy a new one, and that I need to upgrade is baffling to me.

So here I am, she said we were at a “standstill” and that there is nothing I can do except get a 16 core processor.

Mar 10, 2024 12:15 PM in response to Highsinberg

Here we are folks, yet another iPad OS update that hasn’t fixed the issue. Apple needs to respond and be held accountable for their products. They should not be allowed to use Pro in their marketing as these devices clearly aren’t meant for use in professional environments and are just a way to fool people into spending more money on their already expensive products. No response is only making things worse and seems to show a lack of care.

Mar 14, 2024 12:14 PM in response to Highsinberg

I too continue to have the same cursor problem after the IPadOS 17.4 update. Every single time I use my IPadPro - It freezes at least once. 

On February 28, 2024 I sent a Report Request (the circle with ‘!’) that appears to the right of every post…asking for a response to our questions.  

I sent the same Report Request under ‘Mouse cursor on iPad disappears using Magic Keyboard on latest Sonoma (17.0.3) 6 October 2023’ (same issues). To avoid duplication of effort I cross-referenced it with this string.

Still no response. What gives?

iPad Pro Magic Keyboard trackpad cursor disappearing or freezing when closing apps after update to iOS 17.2.3, still present in iOS 17.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.