Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

My Apple Watch 9 is acting weird - Is this a bug?

My Apple Watch 9 (bought mid December 2023) just started going crazy. It was switching apps, trying to enter passcode, and then finally, after two minutes of trying to stop it, sounded the siren and called 911. I had to explain to the operator that my watch was going crazy and had called spontaneously. She seemed unfazed by this, so i'm assuming this is a common occurrence (also judging by other comments and questions in the forum). I was able to hard reboot my watch, which seems to have fixed the issue (but we'll see). My question is, does anyone know why this is happening? This has to be an issue known to Apple (as it's been reported on other models as well and for several years (oldest commentary I see is from 2020). Is this a bug? A virus? (If so, is there a way to remove it?) If anyone has any information it would be helpful. This happened to me in the midst of a meeting with many people around. Is it just a function of having to restart/reboot the watch periodically?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch Series 9

Posted on Jan 31, 2024 4:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2024 12:58 PM

Do a hard reboot. Press the crown and side button (below the crown) at the same time and hold for at least 10 seconds. When you release, you should see the apple symbol and the watch will restart. It will not erase or reset anything, It will just perform a hard reboot.

255 replies

Feb 4, 2024 2:22 PM in response to mjanelle4

I have the same problem. My Apple Watch Ultra II suddenly went nuts. It started with many message on my iPhone for keyboard input, like when you type your password on Apple TV. Then it was like somebody took over my Watch screen. I saw constant random input of text. After a while the watch got time locked, because of the wrong unlock code. Now I have to wait for 3 hours! before next attempt to unlock. I put the Watch on the charger for now and hope the error is over by next morning.

Jan 31, 2024 9:56 AM in response to mjanelle4

MY Apple watch 9 same problem early this morning, the calling 911 alarm (SOS alarm?) woke me up, fortunately pressing crown enough times stopped it. Then there was a flash of apps popping up it seemed to stick on the music app apparently playing Kinks songs from the iPhone. Trying to stop that it called 911 again, which I was able to stop. I took the watch off and that seemed to stop the apps from popping up. Did the reset, put the watch back on, and half way down the hallway the 911 alarm started again. Took off the watch and went to apple support chat. My firmware was 10.2 with 10.3 waiting in the wings. Updated the firmware and the problem seems to have stopped. So watch seems to working now.

Bottom line, yes this is a problem.

Mar 11, 2024 12:33 AM in response to mjanelle4

It looks like this is finally fixed in the watchOS 10.4 update.

watchOS 10.4 includes new features, improvements, and bug fixes, including:

• Tap to Show Full Notification setting now allows you to double tap to expand the notification
  • Using Apple Pay with Confirm with AssistiveTouch will require a passcode for additional security and will not support double clicking the side button
  • Resolves an issue that causes some users to experience false touches on the display
  • Fixes an issue that prevents contacts from syncing to Apple Watch for some users

Feb 5, 2024 1:19 PM in response to mjanelle4

I had exact same issue last night (February 4th), freaked me out. I did a chat with Apple today, they ran a diagnostic test and found it was fine. The only thing I could do was unpair it then re-pair it. The really crazy thing, same exact thing started happening to my iPhone 13 Pro! Phone much easier to reboot than the watch. I really hope Apple gets this fixed! Everyone with this issue NEEDS to contact Apple ASAP!

Feb 3, 2024 9:13 AM in response to mjanelle4

My watch sorted itself out after two things occurred. I put the watch on the charger and while it was there I checked and my phone had an update available so I did that one. Watch charged up and acted normally. I checked for watch update and watchOS 10.1.1 said preparing. It has now been at least 12 hours and the update still says preparing. Just to double check I verified charge greater than 50% and put watch back on charger to see if the update would proceed. It did not.

Mar 5, 2024 3:50 AM in response to mjanelle4

Mine did this yesterday out of the blue. First it triggered ‘find my’ on my phone, and it gave the alert sound. That’s what when I noticed the screen on my watch was going crazy, almost like someone had control over apps. It was opening and closing random apps. It ended up calling 911, the siren sound went off I’m guessing for fall detection. Unfortunately couldn’t stop the call, but luckily 911 operators were nice about it.

Put the watch on the charger as it wouldn’t allow a restart. Eventually after it sat I was able to restart it and get the new update. I’m hoping that works because I’m terrified to wear this watch now. This is obviously an issue since it’s not just me it’s happened to, hoping Apple addresses it.

Feb 7, 2024 5:57 AM in response to mjanelle4

This happened to my S9 (ios 10.2) watch yesterday (2/6/2024). It was as if someone was physically pressing the buttons as well as the touch screen. It turned on airplane mode, set timers, opened menus, and even changed settings. When I tried to power it off, it tried to call 911. I finally took it off my wrist which caused it to enter an incorrect passcode enough to lock itself for a min. While on the "locked for 1 minute" screen I was able to force a hard restart on it. Upon turning it back on, I had to wait the 1 minute to enter my passcode - but then everything was fine. I had to change back everything that was changed before (turn off water lock, turn off airplane mode, etc). But just now, it opened up a menu that I did not press a button for... but stopped after that. I know I have an update waiting (ios 10.3), but sounds like folks on 10.3 are having this issue too....

My Apple Watch 9 is acting weird - Is this a bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.