Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

M3 battery drains very quickly, dropping by around 2 minutes per use

I recently purchased a MacBook M3 16/512, 14-inch model. However, I've noticed that the battery drains very quickly, dropping by around 2 minutes per use. This results in a total battery life of only about 4 hours, which is significantly less than the advertised 18 hours claimed by Apple.

I primarily use Chrome with only 4 tabs open, and the brightness is set to less than 50%. Despite these measures, the battery life is still unacceptably short. As it's my first day of using the MacBook, I'm concerned about this issue. Could you please advise me on what steps I can take to improve the battery life?

Thank you for your assistance.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Mar 4, 2024 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2024 2:22 AM

I'm having the same issue. I have started seeing the battery draining out too fast since day one. It's been just 12 days since I bought it. I thought the stock Mac OS update wasn't optimized or something and did the update to 14.4 as well. And not much improvement. The overall battery backup is about 6 to 8 hours max, with only Google Chrome usage, maybe with 15 tabs open. I was expecting around 12 to 16 hours. Totally disappointed, not sure what is the issue. Looking forward to a solution here.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2024 2:22 AM in response to AhsanCheema

I'm having the same issue. I have started seeing the battery draining out too fast since day one. It's been just 12 days since I bought it. I thought the stock Mac OS update wasn't optimized or something and did the update to 14.4 as well. And not much improvement. The overall battery backup is about 6 to 8 hours max, with only Google Chrome usage, maybe with 15 tabs open. I was expecting around 12 to 16 hours. Totally disappointed, not sure what is the issue. Looking forward to a solution here.

Apr 30, 2024 7:42 AM in response to AhsanCheema

That computer is a battery-CAPABLE device. It is not optimized as a battery-operated device. (It is NOT an iPhone.)

Your computer performs best when connected to AC power. It can use the full output of the Power Adapter AND when doing especially challenging work will also freely "borrow" power from the battery. In some cases, even with the power adapter connected, the charged state may decline during stressful work.

When used only on battery, your computer has no extra cushion of power, and may perform more slowly. However, for ordinary non-stressful tasks this may not be objectionable (possibly not even noticeable.)

In general, you should ALWAYS connect AC power when it is possible to do so, and only run on batteries (which could be somewhat slower) when no AC sources are at hand. Your Mac will NEVER over-charge.

Apr 30, 2024 1:47 AM in response to AhsanCheema

New Macs use more battery on day 1 for setup. Give it a full charge cycle and see if it improves in a day or two.

In the meantime:

Check Activity Monitor (Applications > Utilities) for power-hungry apps and quit them.

Review Battery Settings (System Preferences > Battery) and enable power-saving features.

Check for macOS updates (the latest version might have battery optimizations).

Try disabling Chrome extensions temporarily.

Learn here How to keep your Mac running at its best for years on end?

M3 battery drains very quickly, dropping by around 2 minutes per use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.