iphone 15 not connecting to macbook pro

Ever since I upgraded to my iphone 15 Pro, I am unable to view my iphone in finder on my Mac Book Pro 15" 2017 2.9 ghZ Quad Core Intel i7. Worked fine on my iphone 14 Pro. Any ideas?

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Mar 16, 2024 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2024 4:25 PM

Let’s try a few different methods:

First, unplug the cable and check for dirt or damage.

If every looks good, then try plugging it into another port on your Mac.

If that doesn’t work, then try the following methods on your Mac.

First, click the  menu (upper-left corner of the screen), then click Restart…

After your Mac restarts, plug your iPhone into your Mac and see if that solves the issue.

If not, from the menu bar at the top of the screen, click FinderSettings…

Under the Finder Settings dialogue box, click Sidebar, then under Locations, make sure CDs, DVDs, and iOS Devices has a checkmark. ✅

Press Command ➕ W to close the dialogue box.

If that doesn’t help, then click the  menu (upper-left corner of the screen), then click Force Quit…

From the dialogue box, click FinderRelaunch.

If that doesn’t help, then click the  menu (upper-left corner of the screen), then while holding down the option key, click System Information.

Under Hardware, click USB and check if your iPhone shows up.

If it doesn’t appear, then it could require service, however; let’s see if this issue happens in Safe Mode:

Unplug everything except the power cord from your Mac, then:

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Press and hold the power button on your Mac. As you continue to hold the power button, your Mac turns on and loads startup options. When you see Options, release the power button.
  3. Select your startup disk. It's named Macintosh HD, unless you changed its name.
  4. Press and hold the Shift key, then click the “Continue in Safe Mode” button below your startup disk.
  5. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode:

Leave safe mode by restarting your Mac normally, then try to reproduce the issue.

If the issue doesn't return, it might have been resolved by the other things that safe mode did at startup, such as checking your disk and clearing caches.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2024 4:25 PM in response to Wild Duck

Let’s try a few different methods:

First, unplug the cable and check for dirt or damage.

If every looks good, then try plugging it into another port on your Mac.

If that doesn’t work, then try the following methods on your Mac.

First, click the  menu (upper-left corner of the screen), then click Restart…

After your Mac restarts, plug your iPhone into your Mac and see if that solves the issue.

If not, from the menu bar at the top of the screen, click FinderSettings…

Under the Finder Settings dialogue box, click Sidebar, then under Locations, make sure CDs, DVDs, and iOS Devices has a checkmark. ✅

Press Command ➕ W to close the dialogue box.

If that doesn’t help, then click the  menu (upper-left corner of the screen), then click Force Quit…

From the dialogue box, click FinderRelaunch.

If that doesn’t help, then click the  menu (upper-left corner of the screen), then while holding down the option key, click System Information.

Under Hardware, click USB and check if your iPhone shows up.

If it doesn’t appear, then it could require service, however; let’s see if this issue happens in Safe Mode:

Unplug everything except the power cord from your Mac, then:

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Press and hold the power button on your Mac. As you continue to hold the power button, your Mac turns on and loads startup options. When you see Options, release the power button.
  3. Select your startup disk. It's named Macintosh HD, unless you changed its name.
  4. Press and hold the Shift key, then click the “Continue in Safe Mode” button below your startup disk.
  5. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode:

Leave safe mode by restarting your Mac normally, then try to reproduce the issue.

If the issue doesn't return, it might have been resolved by the other things that safe mode did at startup, such as checking your disk and clearing caches.

Mar 16, 2024 6:23 PM in response to Wild Duck

What version of macOS are you running on that MacBook Pro?

The 2017 MacBook Pros shipped with Sierra. You need High Sierra or Mojave to manage an iPhone 15 Pro using iTunes; Catalina or later to manage an iPhone 15 Pro using the Finder.

If you're still on Sierra, you won't be able to manage the iPhone until you upgrade macOS. Even if you're on High Sierra, you may have problems. (People on these forums seem to have rather mixed experience with High Sierra and iPhones running iOS 17. That combination should work, but it doesn't mean that it always does …)

iphone 15 not connecting to macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.