New MBA M3 screen feels blurred

So I've been using different Macs for many years, from the 128k to the Duo Dock to my latest, the MacBook Air M3 13 that I picked up the other day. For the last, I think, 13 years, I've mostly used different MacBook Airs, the latest from 2014. I've used these computers for 4-14 hours a day, with no issues.

It took about five minutes being logged on to my new MBA M3 before I realized that the screen started to feel blurry. I couldn't understand why, so I chalked it up to being tired and closed my computer. The day after the same thing happened. Then again. On the fourth day I had a project I needed to give my attention, and since I hadn't finished setting up my MBA M3, I used my old MBA. Again - no issues.

I have this feeling every time I use the MBA M3, that there is something off with the screen. For the first 5-10 minutes it looks crisp and nice, and then quickly my eyes get tired, the screen feels blurred, and it's not a nice working environment.

Anyone have any tips or tricks? Should I change the color profile? Something else?

Thank you!

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Mar 24, 2024 3:37 AM

9 replies

Mar 24, 2024 6:46 AM in response to behr be

I'd try what Apple says to do and if this fails... Genius Bar and as a last-ditch... return the laptop for repair (One year) or replacement (Might have two weeks?).

• If your display is blurry: Make sure your Mac has detected that display. Choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Displays.
  • To see the Detect Displays button, press the Option key. Then click the button to detect the display.

If your Mac display doesn’t look right - Apple Support (CA)

Mar 24, 2024 6:30 AM in response to behr be

Just curious....is this a brand new out of the box MacBook Air purchased directly from Apple, or is it a second hand MacBook Air?

Asking because I've never needed to change any of the display settings on any Mac I've ever owned (and, like you, my first one was a 128K). However, it's possible that a second hand Mac had its display settings changed...hence the question.

If one is nearby, you could make an appointment at the Genius Bar and compare your MBA to others in the store...maybe compare display settings if yours looks different.

Mar 24, 2024 8:28 AM in response to behr be

behr be wrote:

It's brand new from the only Apple Store in my city. I'm finding people online talking about this issue since M1, and remembering the debacle with the butterfly keyboard (I hated it from day 1, which is why I didn't replace my old MBA's), I'm afraid this is gonna turn out to be another failure :/

In that case, I'd definitely bring it back to the Apple Store and explain to them how you feel your display is blurry. Have them compare it to other Macs right there in the store.

(I've not felt this at all with my 2023 15" MBA).

Mar 24, 2024 10:22 AM in response to behr be

behr be wrote:

Yeah, I'm speaking to Apple Support right now, and they want me to bring the computer back to the store. I don't want anyone to touch my new stuff, if I can avoid it, but I've booked an appointment on Friday. I'll let the thread know what happens.

Just a tip....in the event they need to keep your MacBook Air for service, or exchange it for a new one, make sure you have a Time Machine backup before your appointment.

Apr 16, 2024 6:09 AM in response to behr be

I brought it to the store and we realized all of the new screens look the same. The support guy told me he agreed and he thought I should return it and get a new one, which I did. I still have the same issue and I'm afraid it's gonna be this way. My hope is that it's gonna get better with time, so I'm trying to use it like I would my old MBA.

I'm also gonna go by an optician and ask them if there's any way the new screen revealed something about my eye-sight, but since I've never had issues and I've never had problems with any other Apple products, I'm gonna guess that they will tell me I have 20/20 vision.

Still afraid that this is gonna turn out to be one of those butterfly keyboard situations, and that I will be blind before receiving any compensation, but here we go.

New MBA M3 screen feels blurred

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.