17.4.1 update issues on iphone 14 pro max

I just wanted to post to let Apple know there are lots of Apple phone users affected by this update.

I had no issues downloading or installing 17.4.1, but ever since then my phone has problems.

It becomes unresponsive and freezes up and must be restarted frequently just to be usable.

I check app updates at least once per day in case one of my apps is the problem somehow.

My problems are nowhere as severe as many that I've read on here but it's still a pain to keep resetting my phone routinely just to have a phone that is usable.

Apple needs to thoroughly test these updates before sending them out. They've gotten horrible at this.

They are losing customers because of not doing their jobs to fully test updates before making them available.

And I used to think that Samsung was bad.

I'm ready to switch all of my devices back to Android, to stay.

Posted on Apr 1, 2024 11:49 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Apr 2, 2024 12:15 AM in response to alanfromjc

alanfromjc wrote:

It becomes unresponsive and freezes up and must be restarted frequently just to be usable.

Here are some common solutions you can attempt:

1. Follow the Apple article to resolve the issue --> If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen ...
  2. If not resolved; please follow the steps in the following link for support with this issue: If your iOS device restarts or displays the Apple logo or a spinning gear unexpectedly
  3. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary software glitches. Turn off your iPhone, wait for a few seconds, and then turn it back on.
    1. Restart the device. That's it.
    2. Still not solved --> Force restart iPhone - Apple Support
  4. Make sure you have the latest updates installed. Update using iTunes/Finder —> Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)
  5. You still see a black screen after charging, force restarting, following the steps in this article.
    1. You see a black screen, but you can hear alerts, sounds, and vibrations.
    2. The screen remains black, but the device chirps when you unmute it and connect it to power.
    3. Your screen is on, but it doesn't respond when you tap, slide, or try other gestures. 
    4. You can't force your device to restart because a button is broken or stuck.
    5. Your device is stuck on the Apple logo, displays a solid color, or isn't recognized in iTunes.
    6. Contact Apple Support to set up service if you have any of the above issues:
  6. Please follow the steps in the following Apple Video for support with this issue:

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it is recommended to reach out to Apple Support or visit an authorized service center for further assistance. They can provide specific guidance based on your device model and iOS version.

Apr 2, 2024 12:17 AM in response to alanfromjc

alanfromjc wrote:

Apple needs to thoroughly test these updates before sending them out. They've gotten horrible at this.
They are losing customers because of not doing their jobs to fully test updates before making them available.

Please note that this is a public forum, so when attaching a screenshot, please avoid including any personal credentials such as IP addresses, card details, email IDs, Apple IDs, IMEI numbers, serial numbers, phone numbers, order IDs, invoices, or any identifiable location information if you are sharing a map.

Hence, some of the following links which are relevant to your query may help you:

1. Product-related Questions directed to Apple Inc
    1. Product Feedback - Apple
  2. Hardware repairs & tickets - Apple Authorized Service Provider
  3. Service grievances & questions --> Apple Repair and Repair Status Check - Official Apple Support
  4. Warranty & Apple Care+ issues --> Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support
  5. Order & Transaction related information -->
    1. Order Status - Shopping Help
    2. Viewing & Changing Orders - Shopping Help
    3. Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple
  6. Suggestions and Feedback for improvements --> Apple Inc says; "We read all feedback carefully, but we are unable to respond to each submission individually."
    1. Here is how for iPhone · Country or region* Select your country or region. · Feedback Type* Select feedback type. · Comments* Enter a comment.
    2. Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  7. Shipping & Transportation queries - Shipping & Pickup - Shopping Help - Apple
  8. Repair costs or product or prices of part service & replacement -
    1. iPhone Repair and Service - Apple Support (IN)
    2. iPhone Screen Repair & Replacement
    3. iPhone Battery Repair & Replacement
  9. Product & Launch Detail etc.. --> Apple
  10. Third-party apps and their behavior - How to contact an app developer - Apple Support
  11. Any other issue --> Contact – Official Apple Support (IN) & Contact Apple for support and service

Apr 2, 2024 12:14 AM in response to alanfromjc

This is a community forum where Apple users come together to share tips on Apple devices and troubleshoot issues within the boundaries of the Apple ecosystem.

Here, you can:

• Dive into meaningful discussions: Get insights, share your experiences, and learn from fellow Apple enthusiasts about Apple products
  • Unlock the potential of your devices: Discover hidden features, troubleshoot problems, and get the most out of your iPhone, Mac, or any other Apple product.
  • Tap into a wealth of knowledge: Our community is full of Apple experts who are happy to share their wisdom and help you navigate the Apple ecosystem.

Apple moderates the forum to ensure a friendly and productive environment, but the real magic happens through user-to-user interaction. So, feel free to explore existing discussions, ask questions, and contribute your own expertise on Apple Products.

Apr 2, 2024 12:15 AM in response to alanfromjc

alanfromjc wrote:

I'm ready to switch all of my devices back to Android, to stay.

Mobile brand/model selection is an individual choice based on many parameters. Such as Money, Feature, Status, Aesthetic, Utility, User-Friendliness, Availability, Warranty Coverage, Service Support, Resale value, Technology and many other factors. Choose yours judiciously!

May 11, 2024 2:38 PM in response to alanfromjc

After ios update 17.4.1, I am no longer able to turn off my iphone 14 pro normally. I have to use the up/down volume buttons in conjunction with the power off button to power down the phone. In addition, my Files App no longer allows me to access shared folders on my Windows PC. At this point, I am painstakingly testing critical apps to determine any unforseen problem. Apple may want to consider a roll back.

I agree, Apple used to be second to none when came to the quality and integrity of their updates and the few times that I did experience problems with ios updates, they were easy to resolve. Based on my research, it appears that in order to correct the noted issues, I would have to reset my phone to factory default settings or use the recovery mode neither of which is an acceptable solution.

Apr 2, 2024 12:14 AM in response to alanfromjc

It's not always the iOS update's fault!  Many things can cause phone problems.  If you tell people you think it's an iOS update, it might make it harder to fix or find a solution for the real issue.

Remember, the right question often leads to the solution!

iOS updates aim to enhance user experience, boost security, and fix bugs rather than disrupt core features. The majority of the issues after updates might stem from underlying, unmentioned factors. Updates won't typically alter personal data but may refine settings or features. Backup before major updates for safety. Review Apple's update details and backup advice for a smooth process.

Kindly consider checking your settings and addressing any device issues before attributing the issue to external factors. This could be a pure coincidence that the iOS update affected the iPhone functions.

Before initiating a standard iOS update, it's advisable to create a backup. Have you completed this step? If yes, proceed with the restoration from the backup.

See what each update does: About iOS 17 Updates, About iOS 16 Updates, About iOS 15 Updates, About iOS 14 Updates, About iOS 13 Updates, About iOS 12 Updates, and so on...

17.4.1 update issues on iphone 14 pro max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.