CarPlay arbitrarily mutes microphone during call.

While using Apple CarPlay in a 2024 Subaru Outback, my microphone is consistently muted without warning a few minutes into calls. I can still hear the other party, but they cannot hear me. The only fix is to hangup, redial, and experience the same result.

iPhone 14

Posted on Apr 7, 2024 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2024 8:44 PM

I have this same issue. From what I have found out, there is no real “fix” for it yet. To get “around” it, you can switch to speaker on your phone, then go back to CarPlay and they can hear you. I have yet to have the other party say they cannot hear me AFTER switching back to CarPlay from selecting speaker the first time the mic drops. I have made some noise about this to Apple support, SOA/dealership, and on Reddit. Kind of a safety issue in a sense too.

Also, deleting car from CarPlay and from Bluetooth on phone, then Hard resetting of phone, followed by factory reset of head unit, turning car off, opening door to kill electronics, then starting the process over from scratch…DOES NOT FIX THE ISSUE.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2024 8:44 PM in response to pjstarich

I have this same issue. From what I have found out, there is no real “fix” for it yet. To get “around” it, you can switch to speaker on your phone, then go back to CarPlay and they can hear you. I have yet to have the other party say they cannot hear me AFTER switching back to CarPlay from selecting speaker the first time the mic drops. I have made some noise about this to Apple support, SOA/dealership, and on Reddit. Kind of a safety issue in a sense too.

Also, deleting car from CarPlay and from Bluetooth on phone, then Hard resetting of phone, followed by factory reset of head unit, turning car off, opening door to kill electronics, then starting the process over from scratch…DOES NOT FIX THE ISSUE.

May 23, 2024 5:39 PM in response to pjstarich

Same issue here. 2024 outback wilderness. Have tried restoring my phone and set up as new even the issue still persists. There are several other forums out there of hundreds of people having the same problem. It is not limited to iPhone Subaru acknowledges the problem, but does not provide a fix.

The only workaround is as someone above side, go to your call screen on your phone, switch to speaker or phone and then switch back to CarPlay.

I would encourage everyone here to please reach out to a Subaru. Customer advocate and share your complaints. They have offered to credit me $1000 service or parts credit.

Sucks because it still does not fix the issue.

Subaru customer advocate phone number is

800-782-2783

Please call and share your concerns.

Jun 15, 2024 7:40 AM in response to pjstarich

I am having this same issue with my 23 Subaru Ascent. The dealership has tried two different updates and neither has worked. This is soooooo frustrating and indeed, it is dangerous. The only “fix” I’ve found is to take the call to the phone on speaker. Subaru tells me this is an Apple CarPlay issue and is occurring across multiple makes of cars. Apple please get this under control! It’s unacceptable. I’m an Apple lover, but this is making me love you less. I have a daily commute and often conduct business on my phone. CarPlay is so convenient, but sadly it has been “updated” to the point of dysfunction.

CarPlay arbitrarily mutes microphone during call.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.