Apple Music duplicated and triplicated my music

Apple Music duplicated and triplicated lots of my music. This is because it doesn't sync properly between my iPhone X, iPad and MacBook Pro (intel i7). All the articles say I have to manually delete them but I don't have the time or energy for that. Any better solutions that don't involve spending time I don't have?

(Btw, this issue is only primarily experienced on my Mac. On my phone those same affected albums are deleted entirely for no reason. 🙃)

Also I searched and there are 896 such songs that have been duplicated and/or triplicated for no reason.

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Apr 8, 2024 9:19 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

May 8, 2024 1:50 PM in response to Ananimouse

This is insane isn't it.

I had a library of some 12,000 songs before joining Apple Music, now everything is duplicated. I have duplicate playlists, I have duplicate songs.

Most of the duplicate playlists are empty. Some have maybe a couple of songs in them that are in the original playlist. I went ahead and tidied up the empty playlists and everything was looking good. However I then tried what was suggested on this page Duplicate songs in iTunes - Apple Community and signed out and back in to my account in the Music App (MacOS Sonoma) and have now lost nearly all my playlists - some of this stuff is unrecoverable and consists of set-lists for bands I play in and took a long time to compile, covering many years of my musical life. As far as I can tell, this is now all gone. I'll have to root through my Time Machine backups and see what I can recover.

However, still, when I ask it to show duplicates it shows 22,897 songs (yeah, an odd number! Hey, maybe there's ONE that isn't duplicated... ).

I have absolutely no idea how to fix this. Just to give an idea of the scale of destruction, here's a random snapshot of a part of my library...

Starting to remember why I ditched Apple Music years ago, but I love the streaming quality and when the integration with my own library works, it's great, hence why I returned.

I need a way out of this :(

Apple Music duplicated and triplicated my music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.