Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Account synchronization between devices

For some reason i need to synchronize only local(not iCloud) users accounts between mac os devices.

MacOs Sever has needed for me option in Profile Manager -> Mobility -> Rules -> Pref(Home) Sync but as everyone knows, MacOs Server is no longer supported.

Are there similar software or what are my options?

Posted on Apr 9, 2024 4:07 AM

1 reply

Apr 9, 2024 7:51 AM in response to serhii193

As far as I am aware, there is no local method and the newer operating systems that embrace containers and group containers over preferences will fail with this type of local sync.

Your best option is to embrace the cloud. If you must do iCloud, I strongly encourage going down the Managed Apple ID route or you will have no control of your data. If you don't have ABM/ASM or can't enable Managed Apple IDs because you already have Apple IDs that are not conducive to migration, then look at other FileProvider services like Microsoft or Dropbox. In these cases, the user must store data in the cloud aware locations. But if you enable Desktop sync in OneDrive, then the user's core home folder content is sycned to the OneDrive location while you can also sync your Teams sites for collaborative data.

Now, when the user goes between devices, most of their content is available across those devices.

Hope this is helpful.

Account synchronization between devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.