Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iPhone security: how to avoid changing Apple ID password through phone 6 digit security code

Hello!

I need to set up the security of my iPhone so that the Apple ID cannot be changed through the 6 digit code of the phone, since it is being used by a underage person who I need to control.

When I set up Screen Time, and under it the section called "Restrictions" or "Content & Privacy Restrictions" in order to limit the use of certain apps, the restriction can be overriden by clicking the following things in this order:

--> "Change Screen Time Passcode"

--> Again "Change Screen Time Passcode"

--> "Forgot Passcode?"

--> Write down yourApple ID email and then click on "Forgot your password?"

Then... Surprise!! The 6 digit code screen appears and after writing it down you can write a new Apple ID password and after that you can just reset the "Restrictions" 4 digit code. And there you go, my clever underager kid can access whatever he wants without me knowing...

Is there a way that the iPhone Restrictions cannot be overriden unless a code is sent to a security phone number or something to that effect?

I am leaving a group of snapshots to show what I mean, I apologize because they are in Spanish.

Thank you very much for your help!!

iPhone 11, iOS 17

Posted on Apr 12, 2024 4:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2024 6:09 AM

The OP is not talking about forgetting a Screen Time password, but about preventing a kid who knows the passcode for the phone from bypassing the Screen Time password.

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 12, 2024 5:06 AM in response to Mazaresbern

If you have forgotten your Screen Time passcode. There are two options.

If you are unable to reset the Screen Time passcode from this-> link then, you will need a computer for option 2. If you don't have one, borrow one from a friend.

Option 1

Use this link to reset your passcode If you forgot your Screen Time passcode - Apple Support

Option 2

Forgot? Click below to reset…

Click->If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your ...

If you have chosen option 2 then regarding your data, If…

1. You have an iCloud or iTunes backup, I am sorry there is no use of a backup because if you restore from your backup your Screen Time Passcode will be back. 
  2. You have synced your data to iCloud, then what you will get back is what you have synced to iCloud and uploaded to iCloud Drive; the information that is synced and stored in iCloud are, Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Mail, Notes, Voice Memosshared photosiCloud Photos*, Health data, call history, and files you store in iCloud Drive. (*-If you had turned on iCloud Photos, your content is automatically stored in iCloud.)
  3. You have imported your Photos & Videos to Mac/PC then they are safely residing there
  4. You have uploaded some of it Cloud Drives using the Files app (iCloud Drive, Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox, Flickr, box, AmazonDrive, Adobe Creative Cloud etc)
  5. If you have not imported nor you have synced or uploaded your data to cloud drives prior to forgetting the Screen Time passcode then I am sorry, all your data is lost.

Apr 24, 2024 3:15 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you very much for your answer SravanKrA, although the problem I am having is different. As Servant of Cats

points out, essentially, a kid with the 6 digit code can do whatever he wants with the phone, overpassing the Screen Time pasword and even changing the Apple ID account password. The method used is the one I explain in the comment above. Is there a way to prevent the Apple ID account password from being changed using the 6 digit code? Thanks

iPhone security: how to avoid changing Apple ID password through phone 6 digit security code

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.