You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlocking MacBook Pro with fingerprint not working

My MacBook Pro with the M3 chip and running Sonoma does not allow me to unlock the MacBook using my fingerprint. It requires me to enter my password. I have turned on the option to "Use Touch ID to unlock your Mac" but when I restart my MacBook Pro, I am required to enter my password. It doesn't let me use my fingerprint. Am I doing something wrong?

Posted on Apr 13, 2024 8:40 AM

1 reply

Apr 13, 2024 8:44 AM in response to robertfromcerritos

robertfromcerritos wrote:

My MacBook Pro with the M3 chip and running Sonoma does not allow me to unlock the MacBook using my fingerprint. It requires me to enter my password. I have turned on the option to "Use Touch ID to unlock your Mac" but
when I restart my MacBook Pro, I am required to enter my password. It doesn't let me use my fingerprint.

Am I doing something wrong?

No.

You are always required to use psswd when you restart.

You can review—

There are a few instances where Touch ID will not be accepted by macOS:

• If you restarted your Mac, or if you're not logged into your user account.

• If you have not unlocked your Mac for 48 hours.

• If you are trying to unlock Security & Privacy

• If you are trying to unlock Users & Groups Settings (when FileVault is on)

• If 5 wrong fingerprint attempts

Use Touch ID on Mac

Use Touch ID on Mac - Apple Support

Unlocking MacBook Pro with fingerprint not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.