Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

I can't disable Universal Control switch in System Settings > Display > Advanced is greyed out

Apps and documents open off the edge of my 2019 Macbook pro. I've learned the setting that disables Universal Control is in System Settings > Display > Advanced. "Push through the edge of a display to connect a nearby Mac or iPad - Allow the pointer to connect to a nearby Mac or iPad by pushing against the edge of a display"

On mine it's ON and can't be turned off!

I reset DVRAM. And I've looked high and low and can't find a solution. I have my resolution set to the default 1680 x 1050. It began when my Macbook was connected to a Dell WD22TB4

docking station and 2 monitors (which I have done successfully with the same model docking station - but this is new unit from )I must have selected something by mistake when trying to get the mirror and arrangement set.

Now with the Macbook not connected to the dock, my display is acting odd and I want to turn off the Universal Control switch and see if that helps.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Apr 15, 2024 9:15 PM

2 replies

Apr 15, 2024 9:56 PM in response to BingoBingoBingoBingo

Sorry for the obnoxious huge screeenshot. I tried to edit it but it wouldn't save my changes. I hope you get the gist but here it is in a more normal look

Hello!

Recently apps and documents will open waaaay off the edge of my 2019 Macbook pro (Sonoma 14.4.1) So far that I can't drag them into view. I've learned the setting that disables Universal Control is found in System Settings > Display > Advanced. "Push through the edge of a display to connect a nearby Mac or iPad - Allow the pointer to connect to a nearby Mac or iPad by pushing against the edge of a display"

On mine the switch it's stuck ON (greyed out) and can't be turned off! Please see image below

I reset DVRAM.I've started in Safe mode and tried to see if I could from there. I've looked high and low and can't find a solution so I hope you can help. I have my resolution set to the default 1680 x 1050. 

It began when my Macbook was connected to a Dell WD22TB4 docking station and 2 23" Dell monitors. I have done this exact setup successfully with this Macbook, but this is new unit of the same model docking station. I must have selected something by mistake when trying to get the mirror and extended arrangement set.

Now with the Macbook not connected to the dock, my display is acting odd - it's like my desktop is extended to...nothing. I want to turn off the Universal Control switch and see if that helps. 

Thanks!

I can't disable Universal Control switch in System Settings > Display > Advanced is greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.