Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

System Data expands to size of empty space

Good morning,

I have an iMac pro running Sonoma 14.4.1 and I'm having an issue with my storage capablilities. No matter how much space I free up on my computer the system data will fill it up and my disk will says its full. I have had time machine back ups off for weeks, empty the cache in the library. I virtually have no documents on a 2TB as system data is over 1.2TB.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Mark

Mac Pro (2019)

Posted on Apr 16, 2024 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 11:45 AM

One possible cause of this issue could be temporary system files, caches, or logs accumulating over time and taking up storage space. While you mentioned emptying the cache in the library, there may be other system caches or temporary files that are contributing to the problem.

To address this issue, you can try using a third-party disk cleanup tool to scan your system for unnecessary files and remove them. These tools can help identify and safely delete temporary files, system caches, and other items that may be consuming storage space unnecessarily.

Additionally, you can manually review your system settings and preferences to ensure that any features or services that may be generating large amounts of data are properly configured or disabled if not needed. For example, you can check settings related to system logs, diagnostic data, and file versioning to see if there are any options to reduce the amount of data being generated and stored.

If you're still experiencing issues after trying these steps, it may be helpful to reach out to Official Apple Support for further assistance. They can provide personalized guidance and troubleshooting steps to help identify the underlying cause of the storage issue and recommend appropriate solutions based on your specific situation and configuration.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2024 11:45 AM in response to MKotanchik

One possible cause of this issue could be temporary system files, caches, or logs accumulating over time and taking up storage space. While you mentioned emptying the cache in the library, there may be other system caches or temporary files that are contributing to the problem.

To address this issue, you can try using a third-party disk cleanup tool to scan your system for unnecessary files and remove them. These tools can help identify and safely delete temporary files, system caches, and other items that may be consuming storage space unnecessarily.

Additionally, you can manually review your system settings and preferences to ensure that any features or services that may be generating large amounts of data are properly configured or disabled if not needed. For example, you can check settings related to system logs, diagnostic data, and file versioning to see if there are any options to reduce the amount of data being generated and stored.

If you're still experiencing issues after trying these steps, it may be helpful to reach out to Official Apple Support for further assistance. They can provide personalized guidance and troubleshooting steps to help identify the underlying cause of the storage issue and recommend appropriate solutions based on your specific situation and configuration.

System Data expands to size of empty space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.