Why does my MacBook Pro freeze when the trackpad goes to sleep mode?

Macbook Pro mid 2013 (A1502)

OSX 10.15 (update from 10.13) and Big Sur (clean installation) - the same issue:

The system freezes when trackpad go to sleep mode after 3-5 sec of inactivity. No taps no clicks revive it.

Tried to reset SMC and NVRAM with no result. Hardware test (Option-D) found no problem.

As a temporary solution system normally works in safe mode (when booted with Shift key or with -x boot-option). But i'd like to understand what's going on and how to disable trackpad sleep or repair system freezing.

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 12:40 AM

6 replies

Apr 19, 2024 12:05 PM in response to Vlatro_n

SOLVED for me.

This post helped me: 7625326

I suggested that the reason may be not a logic board fault, but a “contact disease”: i disconnected some cables while been cleaning the laptop first time.

So, i disassembled it again, cleaned carefully all the connectors with alcohol and slightly tightened logic board screws - and bingo! It works perfect. So i have maybe an old laptop, but with 2TB SSD and Big Sur onboard ))

The only thing annoying me - why hardware test haven't discovered the trouble?

Well, "Nobody's perfect" )))

Apr 18, 2024 9:11 AM in response to Vlatro_n

Are you running any VPN, Anti-Virus, or Cleaning apps?

We need to see what all is running, a report from this will not display any personal info...

Using EtreCheck - Apple Community

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Thanks for Old Toad’s etrecheck instructions…

Slow iMac 2017 - Apple Community

Use the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck. In a Reply before you click post, look for this to add longer texts...

Earlier versions of etrecheck...

https://macdownload.informer.com/etrecheck/versions/

Apr 19, 2024 10:59 AM in response to Vlatro_n

Found similar issue: macbook pro freezes when mouse stops - Apple Community

Yes, i also tried to connect external mouse - the system stays alive while i moving the mouse or the trackpad.

But the result of discussion mentioned above is discouraging: it seems like a logic board issue. The only thing i can not understand - why it worked well for years until i disconnected a battery for a while?..

Why does my MacBook Pro freeze when the trackpad goes to sleep mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.