Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Did I damage my screen?

I went to put my closed MacBook Air M2 on my desk today and I missed the edge and it started to fall. I grabbed it quickly before it hit the floor. I grabbed it with the flat of my hand against the top and slammed it on the underside of my desk! Forcefully.

I opened it and there doesn't seem to be any *OBVIOUS* damage to the outside and it seems to be working fine, but I did notice that the imprint of the keyboard is now on my screen! I can see it in the dust! (And no, it was not there before.)

I don't think it's permanent. I can probably wipe it off. But my questions:

1. If it hit so forcefully that the keys left an imprint on the screen, did I do something to damage the casing?
  2. Another question about the screen: it's not obviously cracked, but could I have a thin, almost invisible crack that will be a problem later? Or would I see or feel a crack, even if it's thin/small?

I have this worry that there's a small crack and three months from now heat or whatever will cause the screen to explode in my face as I'm working, heh.

Thanks!

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 7:26 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 18, 2024 10:31 AM in response to tvguy

A few years back seeing the imprint of the keyboard on the screen was very common and many of us placed a thin cloth on the keyboard before closing the lid. The imprint was skin oil and dust. I imagine that when you saved your computer from its fall you wound up with the same thing. Here’s Apple’s advice for cleaning your screen:

Clean your Mac computer’s screen or display - Apple Support

Apr 18, 2024 10:46 AM in response to dwb

I'm not worried about cleaning my screen. I did that. This wasn't your typical example of the imprints of the keys being on the screen, it came from me forcefully pressing on the outside case so hard when I stopped the MacBook from falling that the keys went into the screen. I'm worried that it was so forceful that I cracked the screen.

Did I damage my screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.