Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Printer idle on Mac Mini

Brother HL-L2350DW will print with AirPrint over wi fi from iPhone but is idle on Mac Mini. Have turned printer and Mac off and rebooted both numerous times. Still won't print. Problem started when I replaced my router and modem. Spectrum says not their problem. (Mini late 2014 w/ i5 OS 12.7.4)

Mac mini, macOS 12.7

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 3:27 PM

6 replies

Apr 18, 2024 3:43 PM in response to 135-282-382

Remove the printer from the Mac, reset the printing system, and re-add it.

That printer does not list AirPrint in its tech specs, but is listed with AirPrint support at Apple.

If that printer does support AirPrint, use the AirPrint drivers from Mac:

If without AirPrint support, you’ll then want to load the latest drivers from Brother onto the Mac.

Apr 18, 2024 5:52 PM in response to 135-282-382

135-282-382 wrote:

Did the reset printer and still idle. I've done it with printer unplugged and on. restarted computer with. printer unplugged and on wi fi. Brother says no down load, just AirPrint and it should work

Brother is correct.

Interestingly, there’s apparently a firmware update (to 1.74) that came out today.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hll2350dw_us_eu_as&os=10080&dlid=dlf106275_000&flang=4&type3=375

After the printing system reset on the Mac, I’d load that firmware next. Test AirPrint again.

if you can’t load that firmware, or that firmware doesn’t resolve this, I’d then try resetting the printer network settings and re-adding the printer to your network.

https://support.brother.com/g/s/id/htmldoc/printer/cv_hll2310d/use/html/GUID-AD10E66A-D2ED-4BDB-8C52-550C32029372_61.html?KEY=Reset

Apr 19, 2024 7:30 AM in response to 135-282-382

You will not be able to scan (assuming it’s a multifunction printer?) with AirPrint, as far as i know.

Once in a while, i’ve seen this « idle » issue.

a few points:

• make sure no job print is in queue - coming from your mac or any other on the network
  • shut down printer and reboot
  • make sure default printer is the right one (i’ve seen someone in family here pointing to a printer no longer on the network rather than the new default one.
  • make sure the printer is on correct mode (some can only have one at a time: usb, ethernet or wifi). Mine is ethernet but through wifi access point will receive any print order from an iphone, macbook on wifi, mac mini on ethernet or wifi.

Printer idle on Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.