Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

All projects missing on iPhone iMovie app

After not using the iMovie app on my iPhone 13 Pro for months, I tried using it today. However, I had to reload the app on my iPhone first. Once it was re-loaded, it appeared as if I was using iMovie for the very first time, and all my projects were missing. Is there a way for me to retrieve my projects? Thank you!

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Apr 21, 2024 6:28 PM

1 reply

Apr 23, 2024 10:58 AM in response to annette-john

HI,

I'm not too familiar with the iMovie for iOS app. From my limited use of it, it appears that the media in the project is stored in the Photos app and will remain there even if the project itself is deleted. In other words, the original media exists in the Photos app, or wherever other place you have it stored, and the iMovie project just refers to it.

Deleting and reloading the iMovie app may result in deleting the projects themselves -- not sure about that. Unlike on the Mac, there doesn't seem to be an iMovie library that retains the projects independently of the app. However, beforehand you can save each project to Files on the iPhone and that may preserve them.

Hopefully, someone with more experience on iMovie for iPhone will chime in with more information.

-- Rich

All projects missing on iPhone iMovie app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.