Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How do I copy lines of text and paste them so that they appear in multiple rows but one column in Numbers?

I am trying to paste questions from text into Excel to be numbered. The questions must each be in a row but all in one column. Initially, when I did a copy and paste, the text appeared across multiple columns, and after doing my research, I double-clicked in the first cell and then pasted, solving the column issue, but now all the lines are in a single cell. How do I copy and paste text into Excel so that each line is in a row and a single column?

First attempt to paste:

Second attempt after double clicking in first cell until cursor is blinking:

What I want to achieve is this (without the need to copy and paste line for line):

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 1:44 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Apr 24, 2024 7:14 PM in response to Achantia

Hello, maybe you can try the following method.

I created a simple text document sample using the first three to four lines of your questions.

Please press Command+ F and check on Replace, like the screenshot below.

Then, click on the dropdown next to the magnifier, choose Insert Pattern > Line Break.

You could see that I can find three line breaks in my sample.

Then, move your cursor to the replace line, and press Option + Tab. You'll see that you have entered something that looks similar to a space, and the cursor position will change.

After that, click on All to replace all the line breaks to the 'Option + Tab' thing.

That's it! You can see that there is a distance between your cursor and the text, which is the 'Option + Tab' thing.

Try copying and pasting them into Numbers. It worked!

Hope this can help you.

How do I copy lines of text and paste them so that they appear in multiple rows but one column in Numbers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.