Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

I am seeing a lot of random photos in Photos could my iPhone be compromised?

Recently, my iPhone 15 Pro photos app has been spontaneously populating with nonsense photos of spreadsheets and the like. Every day or two, I notice another dozen or more having been added. How can I resolve this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Apr 23, 2024 9:32 AM

5 replies

Apr 23, 2024 9:42 AM in response to Isoleucine

To improve understanding of the phenomenon, it would be highly beneficial if you could share a screenshot with the Spreadsheet as an image.. Visual representations carry greater impact than written descriptions.

Please remember that this is a public forum, so when attaching a screenshot, please avoid including any personal credentials such as IP addresses, card details, email IDs, Apple IDs, IMEI numbers, serial numbers, phone numbers, order IDs, or any identifiable location information if you are sharing a map.

With the limited information that you have provided, It is hard to even guess the problems faced by you. 

You may get faster and better responses to your query by --> Writing an effective Apple Support Commun… - Apple ...

Please re-post with detail so that someone else can help.

Apr 23, 2024 9:43 AM in response to Isoleucine

iOS / iPadOS devices cannot be infected** with Viruses / Malware / Spyware unless you have intentionally downloaded spurious software or unauthorized apps directly from the internet and installed them on your device or/and have Jailbroken

**The primary reason for this is Sandboxing. All third-party apps are “sandboxed”, so they are restricted from accessing files stored by other apps or from making changes to the device. Sandboxing is designed to prevent apps from gathering or modifying information stored by other apps.

Security of runtime process in iOS and iPadOS - Apple Support

The sandbox on an iPhone is a security feature that creates a restricted environment for each app to run in isolation from other apps and the operating system. It is a core component of iOS's security architecture and plays a crucial role in making iPhones more secure.

Apr 24, 2024 12:21 PM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you all for your suggestions. The phone is definitely not jailbroken. I have begun reviewing the apps that have access to photos and I am methodically inactivating one by one to see if it results in any changes. In the last 24 hours, after deleting every single Image generated by this unidentified source, another 27 new images have appeared today, all resembling the others I posted earlier

I am seeing a lot of random photos in Photos could my iPhone be compromised?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.