Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Kernel Panics, Heavy CPU Usage, Log-In and Software Update issues

Hello everyone,  

I'm encountering several issues with my MacBook Air-M1 Chip 2020, including kernel panics, hefty CPU usage, restarting past login and software update difficulties.

I already had an issue restarting past login back when trying to update to Sonoma 14.3 (which would systematically fail). I could proceed after a few disk utility repairs but would run into the same issues soon after. 

I've also recently noticed a notable difference regarding CPU usage, which slows my computer down. This has been confirmed by Etre Check. 

Here's the report I just ran after several failed attempts to log in after restart, even after repairing the disk in safe mode. 

These issues are outside my wheelhouse, so I'll let the report take it from here. I can also upload the last full kernel panic report if needed.

Please advise and thank you!

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on May 2, 2024 5:21 AM

2 replies

May 2, 2024 9:02 AM in response to olianatasha04

My observations after reviewing your Etrecheck report:

• First thing that jumped out was listed under major issues, and that refers to kernel panics. While sometimes these are caused by software, they are often caused by hardware failures.
  • Under Minor Issues, it was disturbing to see that your Mac has multiple antivirus apps installed. First off, your Mac shouldn't need ANY antivirus apps, much less multiples. Antivirus apps are are sure way to slow your Mac down if you think it's running too fast...otherwise they create more issues than they prevent. I recommend using the vendors' uninstallers to remove them from your Mac, as simply dragging the app to the trash won't remove everything. This also applies to Microsoft Defender.
  • It appears your battery may need attention. 783 cycle counts seems abnormally high to me. Macs have built in battery health management features. Leaving your Mac plugged in whenever possible is the best means of prolonging your battery's health.
  • CleanMyMac is another app that causes more issues than it prevents. I suggest using the vendor's uninstaller to remove it.
  • Surfshark is another app I question the need for. VPNs are only needed when connecting to a secure corporate system. Otherwise, they really don't provide any additional security.

I'd recommend uninstalling the apps listed above and see if your computer's performance improves. I suspect it will.

May 2, 2024 11:39 AM in response to MacMikeInOK

Incredible. I had SEVERAL of the same F Secure "Security Suite" apps installed. I removed them completely along with SurfShark and CleanMyMac and my computer just performed the smoothest restart it has ever performed. Thank you for that.

I am still, however, having issues updating to 14.4.1. I will try repairing using Disk Utility, that might be all that's needed.

Thanks again!!

Kernel Panics, Heavy CPU Usage, Log-In and Software Update issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.