Macbook air 2017 is responding very slowly

I have a Macbook Air 2017 and it became very slow after I installed Monterey in August 2022. I reinstalled macOS twice and also formatted the disk completely. There is no overheating issue at all, but still the CPU% is very high. Only less than 5-10% CPU is free, which is making my mac very slow. I don't even have any apps right now in my system as I have formatted the entire system. The MacBook has 120 GB of space available, but still mac is responding very slow. I have also reset SMC, NVRAM, verified disk multiple times, with no effect on the performance. I have already checked while in safe mode, but this has no effect. Please help if anyone has faced similar issue ?

Posted on May 7, 2024 5:00 AM

3 replies

May 7, 2024 5:32 AM in response to nazeeshkhan

Does anything in below look familiar

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS,  is an invitation for disaster. 

Certain Applications maybe available on the Apple Apps Store - this only means the Developer is prepared to pay Apple a percentage on each sale. 

What the Application may do to the computer is up to the User to check this out before purchase

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

Disk Cleaner 

This will include CleanMyMac , aka “ BrickMyMac

MacKeeper,

Dr Cleaner Pro Plus

Open Cleaner one Pro

Macmechanic

Clean my Mac x.

MacBooster

Third Party Security Software 

This will include BitDefender

This will included Norton Antivirus 

Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus

McAfee

Avast AntiVirus

FTC Order Will Ban Avast from Selling Browsing Data for Advertising Purposes, Require It to Pay $16.5 Million Over Charges the Firm Sold Browsing Data After Claiming Its Products Would Block Online Tracking 

FTC says despite its promises to protect consumers from online tracking, Avast sold consumers' browsing data to third parties

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/news/press-releases/2024/02/ftc-order-will-ban-avast-selling-browsing-data-advertising-purposes-require-it-pay-165-million-over

Ad Guard,

Webroot ,

ESET ,

Avira ,

AVG AntiVirus  

avira antivirus 

Trustee  

AntiVirus for Mac

F-Secure

Securemac

Cylance

Kaspersky Internet Security

Total Virus Software 

VirusOne

Remove Virus One 

BitMedic Pro.

Macbook air 2017 is responding very slowly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.