Messages frozen and crashes on iOS 17.5.1

Ever since updating to iOS 17.5.1 a few days ago both my and my daughters Messages app rarely works. Usually usually if you bring the app up, it’s just a blank black screen and all you can do is kill it or wait a little while and it’ll crash on its own. On the rare occasion you can actually use the app. It’ll only work for a couple minutes and then crash.

We have both reset all settings on our phones and restarted them many times. Nothing fixes it. Has anybody had this problem with iOS 17.5.1 and found a fix?

Posted on Jun 2, 2024 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2024 12:09 AM

I have tried all possible way

1- sign out and sign in to Apple ID it works for sometime and it went back freezing.

2- reset all network setting . It didn’t work

3- rest factory setting it work for some time and it freezes again

4- disconnected Apple Watch and switch-off the other phone connected to iCloud it work for some time and again now freezing .

5- offloading and deleting msgs with large files . It didn’t work

6- disabled iMessage to get at least sms it didn’t work .

7- now with Apple care they have enabled 24 hour diagnostics monitoring in my phone . Will keep you posted with final resolution. As per the call center this might require engineers involvement to get the patch update resolved.

thanks

114 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2024 12:09 AM in response to Saifmo

I have tried all possible way

1- sign out and sign in to Apple ID it works for sometime and it went back freezing.

2- reset all network setting . It didn’t work

3- rest factory setting it work for some time and it freezes again

4- disconnected Apple Watch and switch-off the other phone connected to iCloud it work for some time and again now freezing .

5- offloading and deleting msgs with large files . It didn’t work

6- disabled iMessage to get at least sms it didn’t work .

7- now with Apple care they have enabled 24 hour diagnostics monitoring in my phone . Will keep you posted with final resolution. As per the call center this might require engineers involvement to get the patch update resolved.

thanks

Jun 14, 2024 1:18 PM in response to Graek

As painful as this is for everyone. Don’t go to the Apple Store physically. You’ll need to call Apple Support and open a case. They still don’t understand how big of an issue this is. I’m going on two weeks now with this issue and I’m fed up with it. I’m not buying a new phone! They need to fix this immediately. I’m unable now to receive calls. Please call Apple support and report a case. The more the merrier and will get their attention to resolve this quicker. : +1 (800) 692-7753

Jun 5, 2024 11:29 AM in response to Graek

There has to be a solution to this issue! This is a big one! In addition to the messages not working, when I get a phone call, my watch doesn’t recognize that my phone has answered the call and will continue to ring until I hit decline on my watch. This is a mig mess up on this update. Just roll out the previous version as an update until this current version is fixed.

Jun 5, 2024 6:53 PM in response to Air Phloo

On my iPad, I see badges on my messages app, open the app, and it shows me the state of messages before any new on comes in but it is frozen. Cannot touch anything to move anywhere. On iPhone, it just shows a white screen that crashes after five seconds or so and takes me back to Home Screen. On both devices, cannot go into the Messages settings in the main Settings app, as it freezes. No one else in my family experiencing this.

Jun 15, 2024 4:05 PM in response to Graek

Just out of curiosity… does Apple watch their own Community pages, cases, etc… ?!? From this page, we’ve all been to stores, opened cases with support… you’d think by now their support team/stores would know of said issues. Yet when I was on with them yesterday, she had no clue. Had I not just bought this phone, I’d be moving elsewhere. Paying for something that doesn’t work 100% is always wonderful.

Jun 3, 2024 6:02 PM in response to Graek

Same exact issue since latest update on my 12 pro max and wife on her 11. Kid also on their 11 having same issue. Can’t even go into settings app messages section. Locks there too. Messages fail to send. Can no longer get into iMessage at all … just hangs @ white screen

so frustrating. First time having issues with messages since my iPhone 3G lol

hope they can fix or get some work around

imessage is completely unusable. Had to setup my wife and kids on WhatsApp just to message argh

wife auto-updated first to 17.5.1 and had issues immediately. My phone was good until it too did the auto update overnight and then bam issues immediately morning of update. So definitely an iOS update issue.

iMessage still works on my MacBook and on kids MacBook no issues

lesson learned. Turn off auto updates

Jun 18, 2024 9:43 PM in response to Graek

i have the new 15 pro and new iPad Air and both of the have this message issue. Was on the phone with tech-support for an hour with Apple and with my carrier ~ it is the new software update. This iOS 17.5.1 has a major glitch with the messaging on phones and iPad’s, I don’t think I will be updating my Apple MacBook until this is fixed in fear that that will also stop working. No one has yet to find a solution. They just want you to keep factory resetting your phone, settings, etc. over and over because there is no solution. This is horrible part about updating to the latest iOS, and if you don’t it starts disabling features and connections, forcing you to do the update only to find out that the update has so many glitches itself. A lot of my friends have now switched to Android because there’s just so many issues these days with Apple phones, updates and battery. Apple is not what it used to be when Steve Jobs was around sadly, they’re slowly resembling and copying android interfaces and glitching in the process. Apple, you needs to read these messages and provide us a solution ASAP

Messages frozen and crashes on iOS 17.5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.