You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard case functionality iPad Air 13

I purchased a keyboard case that I assumed would allow the same functionality as the iPad’s touch screen. Turns out that the mouse only operates on certain icons and only works on certain web links. Also, the screen functionality of swiping up, left and right, as well as closing an app, are completely different when using the touch pad.

I’m returning the keypad but I’d like to know if there is such a huge difference in the operation of the iPad when using keyboards. Or, did I just get a bad one?

iPad Air, iPadOS 17

Posted on Aug 6, 2024 6:03 PM

4 replies

Aug 7, 2024 5:50 PM in response to The_Cross

The_Cross wrote:

I am not understanding the difference between a track pad and a mouse.

Trackpad:

Mouse:

Does a mouse even work with an iPad Air?

You are the one who said that you had a mouse and were trying to use it with your iPad. Why would you have purchased it if you weren't sure it could be used with the iPad?

Connect a mouse to iPad - Apple Support

Seems strange that the dot that was on my screen only operated certain things, some icons, some links and some ability to move certain items around.
Is that all normal functionality?

As I said above, there is something wrong with the keyboard you have.

Aug 7, 2024 9:39 AM in response to The_Cross

I use Apple's Magic Keyboard Folio. The experience has been excellent. It doesn't have a mouse, only a trackpad so I can't comment on how a mouse would work.

If you bought a third-party keyboard, your experience might not be the same. I have a small foldable keyboard that was very cheap that works just fine, though. You may have gotten a bad keyboard, either because the individual keyboard was bad or because the company makes bad products. Without knowing more about the specific keyboard, it's hard to say.

Here's the Apple Keyboard Folio I use:

Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro 13‑inch

Aug 7, 2024 1:49 AM in response to The_Cross

Keyboard cases with trackpads offer a different experience compared to using the iPad's touch screen. They differ in functionality, cursor behavior, and gestures. To troubleshoot, ensure compatibility with your iPad model and OS version, update software, and configure keyboard settings. Keyboard cases vary in quality and features, with Apple's Magic Keyboard for iPad offering better integration. If the experience isn't meeting expectations, consider a different case or Apple's keyboard options for better integration.

Keyboard case functionality iPad Air 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.