📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Learn about all the features, apps, and settings of your iPhone

How to fix iPhone 16 Pro Max Freezing issues?

I just got my new phone today and I'm trying to transfer everything over from my old phone via the iCloud setup. I got through all of the initial setup screens but now that I'm on the home screen, the phone keeps freezing if I try to open any application. It either doesn't open the app at all, or the app opens and then becomes non-responsive, and then after a few minutes the screen goes black and shows a small loading icon and eventually goes back to the lock screen.

In addition, power + volume button reset method doesn't work, so there's no way to force a restart to see if that fixes the problem

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

iPhone 16 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 20, 2024 12:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2024 5:32 PM

Were any/all of you running the beta with the gold master on your old when you tried to set it up?

88 replies

Sep 21, 2024 4:04 AM in response to technabob

What a painfully horrible user experience. I've never had such problems upgrading my iPhone as I am going from my old 13 Pro Max 256 GB to my new 16 Pro Max 256 GB. I backed up my old phone and started the restore from iCloud last night at 5:24 PM with 52.9 GB remaining (which is weird, because I backed up my old 13 Pro Max and Apple said it was only 37 GB in size...whatever). By 11:06 PM last night I still had 32 GB to restore. I went to bed, woke up at 6:22 AM and there's still 24.1 GB left to restore!!! That's insane.

Sep 21, 2024 7:15 AM in response to technabob

Yesterday, I experienced the same issue with my iPhone 16 Pro. After setting it up using an iCloud backup, the phone repeatedly froze, even in the Settings menu, and frequently restarted.

This morning, while adjusting Home Screen customizations, the phone froze again and reset itself. After each reset, the phone remains unresponsive for a few seconds before it becomes functional again.

And I’ve already traded in my old phone…

Sep 20, 2024 4:37 PM in response to technabob

I’m having the same issue. Apple support has been useless so far. The guy couldn’t understand me and I couldn’t understand him. He asked me if it had been stuck all week. I then asked him if he even knew what he was talking about because they just came out today. If anyone gets anywhere please let me know. I can’t even make phone calls right now.

Sep 20, 2024 8:44 PM in response to technabob

Alright everyone, please try this if you have a MacBook.

Follow all the steps while using cellular network and not WiFi if possible (it produced a lot less crashes for me using cellular).

1. Plug in your phone into your Macbook
  2. Go into finder and select your phone from the list of options
  3. Turn off Find My iPhone by going into settings > iCloud settings > Turn off Find My iPhone (this might take a few tries given that the phone sometimes crashes in settings)
  4. Go back into Finder on your MacBook and click Restore iPhone (NO BACKUP)

The steps above got my phone back to a brand new state.

Now, instead of downloading all of your stuff from iCloud like the previous time, just transfer everything from your old phone (by keeping them nearby) if you still have it.

This should hopefully fix the issues for all of you too!

Best of luck!

Sep 20, 2024 5:59 PM in response to technabob

Ok. So this is what I did:

took me a few tries but I was able to wipe it out completely and start fresh again. This time I transferred everything from phone to phone. Instead of having it go from iCloud backup. It took 1 hour to transfer it all but it all worked and I have no issues. I will note that I did have a developer beta of iOS 18 on my old phone. The_phillymacight have been on to something there. But it’s working good now. Just wish apple Reps could have saved me 7 hours and told me to do it that way instead of trying to wait for everything to download from iCloud.

Sep 21, 2024 2:27 AM in response to technabob

The sales rep at Apple Store did not let us wait and update, they suggested cloud. Which is okay as my friend got iPhone 16 pro Max and it works fine with cloud restore whereas my iPhone 16 pro is giving me issues. I have traded in my phone already so I don't have the phone to phone transfer. Should I get a replacement? I doubt that would work either because it will have to restore using cloud no matter what. Just wondering if this is an issue with some of our phones because my friend used iCloud as well and has no issues.

Sep 20, 2024 1:20 PM in response to technabob

I managed to restart using this process:

1 Press and quickly release the volume up button.

2 Press and quickly release the volume down button.

3 Press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo (this takes around 10 seconds).

But that didn't solve the issue and the iPhone keeps freezing and going to the black screen with the spinny icon.

How to fix iPhone 16 Pro Max Freezing issues?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.