You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iPhone 16 Pro Freezes and Restarts

My iPhone 16 Pro 256gb was fine yesterday. This morning, it has been crashing constantly. The settings app and the calendar app are the worst culprits. Calendar just freezes, you cannot drill down to the day. The settings app just turns black and then crashes. Multiple times the whole phone restarts. I tried a hard restart to see if it was a cache issue. Didn't help. I turned off the wifi and that seemed to slightly help when using other apps. One time the settings app worked and I went to see the analytics logs. Lots of crashes in there and 1 kernel panic. Also, Siri is not responding; just hangs there with no response.

I spent 3 days transferring all the apps from my iPhone 13 Pro and do NOT want to reset it again. Getting an authenticator app configured with all my accounts takes hours. This is very disappointing.

Anyone have any thoughts or proven solutions? Thank you in advance.

iPhone 16 Pro

Posted on Sep 24, 2024 7:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2024 1:31 PM

After 24 hours of being stable, the issues are back. No updates no apps installed. All apps are unresponsive now and cause kernel panics.

This is ridiculous on a brand new phone.

66 replies

Oct 1, 2024 3:21 AM in response to PatrickHRCO

I have upgraded to an iPhone 16 pro max and constantly getting the freeze/restart issue when trying to do or open certain things. ex. weather app, settings, widgets, etc. some apps intermittently don't display properly. Carplay would also not connect even though phone shows connected. Very frustrating. Hope Apple reads these and creates a fix ASAP.

Sep 24, 2024 3:28 PM in response to PatrickHRCO

Phone is stable at the moment. I made no changes to the phone itself and it hasn't crashed in the last 3 hours.

I did notice something strange about my iCloud backup. Look at this text is under the name of my phone. I have never seen that before. I have English set at my language as well.

This text made me look a little closer at the logs for the 4 kernel panics today. I noticed that the first one happened around 300AM while performing a backup to iCloud. Maybe the failing backup corrupted a bunch of other things? I have no idea.

So, I figured I would just reset the phone and start from scratch. Before I reset it, I performed a backup directly to my Mac instead of iCloud. It took over an hour to backup but after that the phone stabilized and hasn't crashed since. I don't see a correlation, but as of right now, I'm not complaining - it's working as expected.

Here's to praying it stays stable!

Oct 3, 2024 3:05 AM in response to PatrickHRCO

iPhone 16 Pro Freezing and Shutting Down – Any Fixes?

I’ve been dealing with a frustrating issue on my new iPhone 16 Pro where it keeps freezing and shutting down randomly. What’s worse is that this is actually my second iPhone 16 Pro. I had it replaced, thinking the first one was a dud, but the new one is doing the same thing!

When I went to the Apple Store, I was told to avoid restoring from a backup and instead manually re-download all my apps, as that might help. I haven’t tried it yet, but has anyone else done this? Did it work for you, or is it just a waste of time? I’m wondering if it’s a batch issue with these phones.

Interestingly, when Apple ran diagnostics on the first phone I returned, they found two hardware problems. The kicker is, they didn’t have any solutions because the problem is so new. They couldn’t even give me a proper fix since it’s not yet documented. Has anyone else gotten any feedback or solutions from Apple?

Would appreciate any input!

Sep 29, 2024 5:24 PM in response to PatrickHRCO

All of the replies in this thread describe exactly what is happening to me as well. iPhone 16 Pro Max, tons of space left after iCloud restore.

First phone I restored, took 2 days. I reset it and restored again, which took 3 days. I went to Apple Store and they replaced it. Restored in 24 hours, but within a few minutes, it crashed continuously.

I don't want to spread unsubstantiated rumors, but one of the support reps mentioned a patch is supposed to come out and fix this.

Sep 27, 2024 9:40 AM in response to PatrickHRCO

Same exact issues... crashing and restarting by itself, was able to use a couple of apps but would crash with most of the apps, if they actually showed at all. Brought it in at the genius bar and they gave me a replacement. The new one was behaving well for about 30 minutes after the data transfers from cloud but then started crashing again after it had loaded about an eighth of the apps.

Now I can't even open settings to erase all data and start over again :(

Been without a phone for a week because of these issues. Not sure what to do anymore. It will take forever to get another appointment with the genius bar.

Oct 9, 2024 8:07 AM in response to chrishill

So …. Booked in to the Apple Store at Bluewater and diagnostic showed software fault, possibly a rogue app from my install. Anyway the “Apple boy” (his words) did a full reinstall from scratch. I then reinstalled the apps I really need, and disposed of those I don’t, (did me a favour really). Since then no problem. Love the new 16.

iPhone 16 Pro Freezes and Restarts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.