Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts app crashes on ipad 2 with ios 5?

Hi,

I've recently bought an ipad 2 and updated to ios 5. icloud is set up, my gmail account is set up as well.

The settings are the same as the ones on my iphone 4 (ios 5, icloud, gmail account)

I noticed a few days ago that I was unable to access contacts, as well as mail, contacts and calendar setup anymore on the ipad 2 - apps or set ups crash.

I can download emails from my gmail account, yet I can't select a contact without the mail app crashing.

Everything works just fine on iphone.

Any idea what I can do to get contacts to work properly?

Many thanks

Cyril

iPad 2, iOS 5

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 2:20 AM

38 replies

Oct 24, 2011 3:31 AM in response to Attic974

+1. I bought ipad 2 yesterday, upgraded to ios5 and got the same problem: Contacts app crashes also in settings opening "email, contacts" applet causes crash.

I use exchange sync.

What's weird I bought similiar ipad 2 a week ago and there was no such problem. I have noticed that you guys have reported this issue today. So it might be related to latest updates (17-24 Oct)?

Oct 24, 2011 2:08 PM in response to Cyril vanB

Same here !

Recently bought an iPad2 and updated to iOS5 (Oct17th). I noticed that the final stage of the iOS5 update lasted too long as it repeatedly tried to launch the home screen.

Exactly like Cyril vanB and phantomgt reported, after a couple of days, (without adding 3rd party apps), built-in apple app 'contacts' crashes to home screen. Additionally, attempts to adjust "mail, contacts and calender" setup in the 'settings' resulted in similar crash, as well as after selecting a contact within an email.

All other apps function correctly.

Reinstalling iOS5 (on Oct 20th) did not fix this problem. Contrary to the first attempt, this time the iOS5 seemed to be installed according to plan.

So, hoping for a speedy Apple patch/update !

Oct 25, 2011 8:45 AM in response to Cyril vanB

Same issue around here. I can't access my Mail/Contacts settings (and so I also can't activate my mobile.me, and so I can't use the Find my iPad feature)... I can't use Find my Friends either, as it hangs as soon as I try to view my requests. I also can't open my Contacts app.

I've already tried to close everything on the task manager, rebooting the device several times, and nothing gets it back working again.

Apple must fix this ASAP, as it is a HUGE deal breaker. I mean... I have a fantastic device with tons of social networking features and I can't use none of them as everything integrated with the contacts core of iOS 5 keeps hanging on me.

There is already another related post in this same forum, with 960 views and 13 replies... More than one topic with complains about it... That shows clearly that it is a major bug, causing trouble to many users. C'mon Apple. 1000+ views... 20+ replies. *iThink* it's more than enough to give serious focus to this issue, isn't it?

We need a patch to fix this. Seriously.

Oct 27, 2011 1:43 AM in response to Cyril vanB

Hello everybody,

I spend several hours last night and finally get it back to work.

First what did not work:

I connected the iPad with iTunes an click restore. But when it asked I choose restore from last backup. Even before any app or data where restored, the contacts crashed again.

What works for me:

Disabled all apps and data from synching with iTunes

Click 'restore' in iTunes.

I the middle of this process the iPad (not iTunes) asked about the restore mode.

Choose option 'as new iPad'

Then I got a new blank installation without external apps or data. But with working contacts.

I set up my connection with exchange and other mail accounts.

Then I enabled all apps and data (photos, music, podcasts) one by one and synch.

Note: I am running a german version, so I dont know the exakt english names.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Oct 29, 2011 1:08 AM in response to Cyril vanB

Hi all,

I have same problem after upgrade to ios5 with my iPad2.

About the method mentioned by mathias239, it is similar to reinstall ios5 from scratch and reinstall all the app. I guess I cannot do that because it may lot most of the setting and the magazine copy in app will be lost because the app is reinstalled.

APPLE FIX IT!!!!!!!

Contacts app crashes on ipad 2 with ios 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.