Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mackeeper

is MacKeeper a scam?

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 3:55 AM

32 replies

Apr 11, 2012 5:04 AM in response to saminwp

MacKeeper is highly invasive malware* that can de-stablize your operating system. It is also unethically marketed and a rip-off.

Further opinion on it and how to uninstall MacKeeper malware:

http://applehelpwriter.com/2011/09/21/how-to-uninstall-mackeeper-malware/

Do NOT download or use the ‘MacKeeper uninstaller’ from the Zeobit site, as this will cause even more damage to your operating system.

This is also worth reading:

http://www.reedcorner.net/news.php/?p=245

Equally phoney is iAntivirus:

http://www.reedcorner.net/news.php/?p=341

* The expression ‘malware’ is a general term used by computer professionals to mean a variety of forms of hostile, intrusive, or annoying software.

May 28, 2012 6:22 PM in response to saminwp

I am going to go copy & paste what I just told someone else about MacKeeper because seriously, i feel morally obligated as a mac user and a human being to warn you about this:

here's what i said -

I came to these forums specifically to try to warn any person in the Universe who may have been thinking about getting MacKeeper against it. OMG.
WOW. I dont even know where to begin. Let me just say....since I'm so wound up lol that I cannot even type like a normal person, its the closest thing to a virus my Macs have ever had! Its been like 4 or 5 days and I'm actuallly still getting a little wound up just thinking (typing) about this garbage they call MacKeeper.
Luckily, I got a ful- well, I've been PROMISED a full refund by the company. The crazy thing is, the guy on the phone didnt even ask me for my personal information - he said, ok we will issue a full refund to you. I said, hey! Hang on a second?! You literally did not even ask me for my name or any personal information. (busted. lol)
So....I had called for a refund after the thing began to duplicate itself all over my MacBook Pro.

It was OPENING BROWSER WINDOWS on its own! I could not even keep Safari shut down ....and I have a screenshot of the software where it tried to download about 19 times. No joke.
TOTAL. GARBAGE.
And you can believe me because i'm shouting. But seriously, its horrible.
I am embarassed to even give my name here.

Jun 17, 2012 3:17 AM in response to saminwp

I hate to be the one to bring this topic back to the top of any board, but I think its also worth mentioning this.

Zeobit, MacKeeper's developer, have a history of making false advertising claims. Here's the latest one I've found. On their Facebook page and on their webpage they have this apparent endorsement from UNC Charlotte:

User uploaded file

I contacted the Director of IT at the College of Arts and Architecture UNC Charlotte, about whether they endorse MacKeeper and his response, I quote here, was:

No, please do not download and install MacKeeper. We have seen problems with this software in the past.

Jun 17, 2012 6:23 AM in response to BDAqua

Businesses can advertise as they choose. Consumers always have the option of "voting with their feet". If enough do, the "money" won't be there and the business will eventually fold. There are also laws agains "false and misleading advertising", but those come into play only after there is a complaint about or a problem with an advertisement. The US is not a country (at least yet) where any government agency screens advertisements BEFORE they become public; I hope that never comes to pass.

Aug 22, 2012 12:00 PM in response to saminwp

I have been reading several threads on "Mackeeper".

Is the boxed disc "MacKeeper" sold at OfficeMax produced by the same people as the on-line junk MacKeeper program is produced? Are they the same?

The manager of my local Office Max, when I told him what I had been reading on these forums, told me, "We sell a lot of them" and "Everybody likes it." Now I wonder if he means his store sells a lot, or OfficeMax nationwide sells a lot. I have no idea how he determined "everybody likes it," but now I wonder if there is any evidence of that at all. Since OfficeMax will not accept software returns, why should anyone come back in to complain?

Which also makes me wonder about that federal law - I've been told it is against federal law to refund money for returned software. It seems obvious that software companies would have been heading the lobby effort to get Congress to pass such a law. But ultimately Congress (or the President?) is responsible. Why not make it a felony to refund customers for returned, or returned college text books (Oh, Lordie, I hope I'm not giving some moronic bureaucrat an idea), or returned jeans, western shirts, work boots, dresses, and picture frames? Why software, especially seeing how cr*ppy some of it is.

Could someone persuade me that no refund on software is a good idea?

Software can and has been written to prevent multiple downloads, so software theft could probably be prevented or at least limited.

Message was edited by: Storm Pudding to highlight OfficeMax as a possible, gullible collaborator.

Sep 30, 2012 6:16 AM in response to softwater

Hello Softwater,

Do you have a copy of the original communication, or an (edited) em headers?

I am extremely suspicious about MacKeeper, and detest their dubious, un-ethical and deceptive marketing techniques, nevertheless, the UNC Charlotte still has MacKeeper "recommended" on their computer lab page.

http://coaa.uncc.edu/resources/computing/storrs-computer-labs

Bottom of the page.

User uploaded file

mackeeper

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.