Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Norton antivirus 12 for lion any good?

I know in the past Nortion antivirus software was as ruinious to a mac performance as the virus you are trying to avoid.

Is the new anti virus internet security 5 & antivirus12 designed for Lion, actually work now, without a HUGH performance hit?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 3:49 PM

19 replies

Apr 13, 2012 4:40 PM in response to Brian Hawke1

Mac OS X versions 10.6.7 and later have built-in detection of known Mac malware in downloaded files. The recognition database is automatically updated once a day; however, you shouldn't rely on it, because the attackers are always at least a day ahead of the defenders. In most cases, there’s no benefit from any other automated protection against malware.

The most effective defense against malware is your own intelligence. All known malware that affects an up-to-date Mac OS system takes the form of trojans that can only operate if the victim is duped into running them. If you're smarter than the malware attacker thinks you are, you won't be duped. That means, primarily, that you never install software from an untrustworthy source. How do you know a source is untrustworthy?

• Any website that prompts you to install a “codec,” “plug-in,” or “certificate” that comes from that same site, or an unknown site, merely in order to use the site, is untrustworthy.
  • A web operator who tells you that you have a “virus,” or that anything else is wrong with your computer, or that you have won a prize in a contest you never entered, is trying to commit a crime with you as the victim.
  • “Cracked” versions of commercial software downloaded from a bittorrent are likely to be infected.
  • Software with a corporate brand, such as Adobe Flash Player, must be downloaded directly from the developer’s website. No intermediary is acceptable.

Disable Java (not JavaScript) in your web browser(s). Few websites have Java content nowadays, so you won’t be missing much. This setting is mandatory in Mac OS X 10.5.8 or earlier, because Java in those versions has bugs that make it unsafe to use on the Internet. Those bugs will probably never be fixed.

Follow these guidelines, and you’ll be as safe from malware as you can reasonably be.

Never install any commercial "anti-virus" products for the Mac, as they all do more harm than good. If you need to be able to detect Windows malware in your files, use ClamXav — nothing else.

Apr 14, 2012 3:42 AM in response to Brian Hawke1

Actually, IMHO, anything that has the name Norton should not be installed on any computer. Whether Windows or Mac.

As others have said, and my personal experience with other poeples computers, it is the WORST piece of JUNK software that has ever been produced. That is going back 14+ years.

About the only good Norton software was Norton Desktop for Windows.

Apr 14, 2012 3:58 AM in response to Brian Hawke1

If you spend money on Norton for Mac, you might as well just send it to me! Unlike other commentators I;ve had good luck with Norton for PC's and being still realitivly new to the Max world, foolishly I tried Norton for Mac, and I can say it is not worth its salt.

I use Intego VirusBarrier6 and if nothing else, for me it is simple to use. I like their Mac Security Blog also.

Oct 4, 2015 11:12 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc,

Curious: I see a lots of back and forth concerning NORTON and Mac. I have never seen such contentiousness over any other issue. I worked for an international publishing company whose IT department installs Symantec software on all its computers. If NORTON is so terrible, would a billion + dollar international corporation who is extremely cautious about their security not know better? I understand that Mac is not as vulnerable as the PC, historically speaking, but has the game not changed—I mean, are those who have nothing better to do than hack or create cute viruses and malware not interested in challenging Mac owners/users?

Anyway before I digress to far, my question concerning NORTON is that it detected 'OSX.Trojan.Gen'. I attached a snap shot. According to NORTON they provide directions on how to delete this. However, I there are some posts that suggested not to delete anything NORTON finds for the reason that it could cause more system damage. So I am trusting the antiNORTON crowd and perhaps I should seriously remove it from my OSX system, but there is the rub. According to some, uninstalling NORTON albeit the NORTON way is not good enough, hence my dilemma. If uninstalling is the right way thing to do, can I get some guidance as to how to properly uninstall it.

.User uploaded file

Oct 4, 2015 11:15 AM in response to tech$1

tech$1 wrote:

Linc,

Curious: I see a lots of back and forth concerning NORTON and Mac. I have never seen such contentiousness over any other issue. I worked for an international publishing company whose IT department installs Symantec software on all its computers. If NORTON is so terrible, would a billion + dollar international corporation who is extremely cautious about their security not know better?

Yes, apparently.

Oct 4, 2015 2:13 PM in response to tech$1

Curious: I see a lots of back and forth concerning NORTON and Mac. I have never seen such contentiousness over any other issue. I worked for an international publishing company whose IT department installs Symantec software on all its computers. If NORTON is so terrible, would a billion + dollar international corporation who is extremely cautious about their security not know better?

Norton for Windows is not the same as Norton for Macs, and the effort they put into each product shows that the Mac is an after thought.

While just about every Mac anti-virus package seems to cause more trouble than they are worth, Norton has been one of the worse year after year.

And as someone that has worked for Fortune 500 companies since '85, I can tell you that the IT department really ONLY thinks about Windows. Macs, Linux, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, Digital Unix (aka Tru64 UNIX), OpenVMS, etc... are an after thought (note, and this includes the companies that created and sold Solaris, HP-UX, Digital Unix and OpenVMS). The IT departments over and over again have taking a one-size-fits-all approach and that approach is Microsoft Windows. Everything else is either prohibited, actively discouraged, or barely tolerated.

Oct 4, 2015 2:59 PM in response to BobHarris

Bob,

Thank you. What you stated makes perfect sense. The company's IT environment is virtually 99.9% Microsoft driven. So I gather from your position and expertise that NORTON 360 on the Mac is not required, correct?

I also had NORTON 360 originally install on a PC, but I had to reinstall the Microsoft operating software and NORTON could not recognize it, nor could NORTON's IT team reload the antivirus. Instead they told me to contact Microsoft, which I did, and 100 bucks later not even a Tech Level 2 from Microsoft could resolve the issue. So I no longer have the PC covered with NORTON, but I am using Microsoft Defender instead...and it works well enough.

Norton antivirus 12 for lion any good?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.