Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Could not purchase" iTunes Store Error

I keep getting the error message:

"Could not purchase (insert songname here) the network connection was reset"

whenever I try to buy this one song I want. Does anyone know why or have a way to help me with this?

Posted on Apr 20, 2012 5:22 PM

38 replies

Apr 20, 2012 5:36 PM in response to Koprio

We're having the same problem from both Windows computers in our house. The iTunes network troubleshooter (Help > Run diagnostics) says:

Network interfaces verified.

Internet connection verified.

Secure link to iTunes Store failed.

ISP is Bell in the Toronto area. Is anyone else having these problems? Is something wrong on the Apple server side?

Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

iTunes 10.6.1.7

QuickTime 7.7.1

FairPlay 1.14.37

Apple Application Support 2.1.7

iPod Updater Library 10.0d2

CD Driver 2.2.0.1

CD Driver DLL 2.1.1.1

Apple Mobile Device 5.1.1.4

Apple Mobile Device Driver 1.59.0.0

Bonjour 3.0.0.10 (333.10)

Gracenote SDK 1.9.5.502

Gracenote MusicID 1.9.5.115

Gracenote Submit 1.9.5.143

Gracenote DSP 1.9.5.45

DNS Servers:

Active Connection: LAN Connection

Connected: Yes

Online: Yes

Using Modem: No

Using LAN: Yes

Using Proxy: No

Firewall Information

Windows Firewall is on.

iTunes is NOT enabled in Windows Firewall.

Connection attempt to Apple web site was successful.

Connection attempt to browsing iTunes Store was successful.

Connection attempt to purchasing from iTunes Store was unsuccessful.

The network connection timed out.

Connection attempt to iPhone activation server was successful.

Connection attempt to firmware update server was successful.

Connection attempt to Gracenote server was successful.

Last successful iTunes Store access was 2012-04-20 20:30:52.

Apr 20, 2012 5:39 PM in response to zooluu

Turned off Windows firewall completely and still won't connect. (I will turn it back on now )

Firewall Information

Windows Firewall is off.

Connection attempt to Apple web site was successful.

Connection attempt to browsing iTunes Store was successful.

Connection attempt to purchasing from iTunes Store was unsuccessful.

The network connection timed out.

Connection attempt to iPhone activation server was successful.

Connection attempt to firmware update server was successful.

Connection attempt to Gracenote server was successful.

Last successful iTunes Store access was 2012-04-20 20:38:21.

Apr 20, 2012 7:01 PM in response to Koprio

Yes I agree.Apple is experiencing technical difficulties. I called them an hour ago and the support advisor told me that there is no problem on their end. I went through the whole contact isp and reset modem router thing and did not fix the issue! I am furious.

Do proper research before you tell a customer that everything is fine. Now we play the waiting game.

Apr 20, 2012 7:28 PM in response to Koprio

I am experiencing the EXACT same problem!! Just started today. I first noticed it on my laptop, I could browse the store just fine but when I tried to buy a song, all the problems started! Then I got on my Iphone to see if I could download an app on there, and was having trouble there too. I went back to my laptop, and tried several things...I rebooted the computer 3 times, cleaned up my drive, went into Programs and didn't uninstall, but hit "Repair"...still no luck! Then I even went under Properties on Itunes and restored to a previous version...same thing!! I don't understand at all. My Iphone is still recognized when I plug it in, and I can browse everything...so obviously I'm not having "network connection" problems. The other weird thing is I noticed when I look under Properties, the date created shows up as today, but I actually installed Itunes several months ago on my new computer. HELP!!!

Apr 20, 2012 7:31 PM in response to Koprio

Did some quick research this has happened a lot in the past im going to try this solution...

Jul 12, 2010 12:11 PM (in response to berniej)

Same Thing Happened to me this past week. I too read this post and not sure why it said "solved".
*Luckily...I found a solution!* I hope it works for you too :

Ok internet was working fine on my machine, but when i went to the itunes store (itunes ver 9.2) I got the following error - *"we could not complete your itunes store request. the network connection was reset"*.

So after trying several things i decided to sign out of the itunes store. (top right - click on your name and sign out). Immidiately the itunes store loaded and the message did not come up again.

I suspect that maybe this happened because i changed my MobileMe password recently. The itunes store keeps your password and probably logs you in every time. Since the password saved was not good anymore, it kept rejecting the connection.

*Note : If you do not have a Mobileme account, try signing out and re-entering your AppleID password. Worked for me. Probably some itunes permission thing...*

Good luck.

Message was edited by: iBiM

MBP, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iPhone 4

Apr 20, 2012 7:41 PM in response to Domerjay

Mine is a 4.3. I just don't get why everything is screwed up all of a sudden! Of course, it looks like Apple is denying any of it could be their fault. All I know is I am NOT uninstalling and reinstalling. Last time I did that and plugged my phone in, no matter how careful I was, I ended up losing EVERTHING on my phone. Good luck to us all!

"Could not purchase" iTunes Store Error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.