Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HL-2270DW printer: Wireless setup problem

I recently bought a Brother HL-2270DW laser printer. After downloading the drivers I am able to print just fine via USB. The trouble is, I would much rather connect to this printer wirelessly. The manual says to utilize the CD that came with the printer to enter the appropriate settings... unfortunately, the CD says the operating system is too new and to refer to Brother's website. After doing this and downloading their BRAdmin Light (a little app designed to adjust basic printer setting), I found that BRAdmin Light will not recognize any devices, even though I am connected via USB and can even print.

So the basic issue is, how can I set up this printer for wireless operation given what I have mentioned above?

Much thanks!

Alex

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 10:02 AM

31 replies

Feb 6, 2013 7:10 AM in response to alex_blondeau

Thanks for the extremely thorough directions (with screenshots--so helpful) in setting-up a HL-2270DW printer.

The Brother software did not work at all for me and was a nightmare to say the least. Not using a CD or Cable worked much better.

Amazing directions--two thumbs up! 😀

Please Note:

If your network requires a password, make sure you enter the password were you see the words:

Passphrase or Paraphase (Under WEP Key selections)

Also, make sure you to have the correct Encryption Mode and Authentication Mode otherwise it will not work correctly. My attempts failed the first 2 times, because I had the wrong information.

Mar 28, 2013 5:40 PM in response to alex_blondeau

Hi, I have the same problem, and I tried to follow the instructions, but, when I arrive to the step IV, I got stucked because I cannot connect my Time Capsule, this is what I get:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

As you can see, it is different to the one shown in yhe instructions: I do not see the option: SETUP

Does anyone can help me with this?... I have a Time Capsule 2 TB Model A1409

Thank you!!

Mar 28, 2013 7:30 PM in response to DanielArg

Hi DanielArg,

I have a Time Capsule 2TB Model A1409 just like you. It took me 3 or 4 attempts to get my Brother printer to connect---it was my fault as I kept missing key points, particularly in STEP 3. Also, I needed to alter a few of my Network Settings in Systems Preferences. I have attached several screen shots so you can see what worked for me. Please let me know how things turn out and do not give up....You are your Brother's keeper...LOL

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Nov 16, 2013 5:35 PM in response to alex_blondeau

I'm using 10.7 and my wife is using 10.8. I found the following (different) instructions from a thoughtful amazon reviewer for a simple way to set up wifi connection with the 2270dw. These instructions worked on both of our laptops:

As with so many tech units, it's the setup that is the hassle. I am a Mac person. Sure, I've used PCs at work and when I have to but I much prefer the Mac OS. The first indication that there was trouble was when the included setup disk refused to install the printer drivers because they were outdated. There was no link to update, no advice, nothing. So I went to the Brother site and after digging around through their horrible UI, I found the necessary updated drivers, downloaded and installed them. But that was only the start of the hassle.

The user manual is horribly confusing, to say the least, when it comes to setting up the wireless networking (at least to me). I suggest you ignore everything in the manual regarding networking. Let me give you Mac users some hints so you can avoid the wasted time and frustration I experienced:

1. After you've unpacked the printer, installed the toner and paper and printed a test page, go to the Apple web site and search for Brother printer drivers. Apple has all the latest drivers for download free.

2. Download and install the drivers.

3. Insert the CD that came with the printer and open the 'Utilities' folder. Do NOT use the 'Start Here OSX' icon.

4. In the Utilities folder, click on 'Wireless Device Setup Wizard.'

5. In the next window, Setting Up Wireless, click 'NO' then 'Next.'

6. In the next window, click 'checked and confirmed' then 'Next' (you don't need to read the stuff in that box).

7. In the next window, make sure 'Temporarily use USB cable' is selected, then click 'Next.'

8. Connect a USB cable from your computer to the printer.

9. In the next window, you will see the setup software searching for wireless signals in your area. Make sure your network is visible, then select it.

10. In the next window, input your router's wireless access password twice as requested. (Note: if you have an Apple Airport, do not enter the Airport PW, but your wireless access PW. If they are the same, no worries.)

11. Unplug the USB cable to the printer.

12. Click through to 'finish' and you are done!

Your Brother is now set up to print wirelessly and you can put it anywhere you like.

HL-2270DW printer: Wireless setup problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.