Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is mackeeper

What is mackeeper

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 7:54 AM

Crapware that will only cause problems, Everything it claims to do can be done for free and much more safely with other utilities.

Allan

37 replies

Jun 17, 2013 10:31 AM in response to pooroldman

MacKeeper, irrespective of any good or harm it may do, has the most annoying aggressive marketing of any program. Yesterday when going to three websites, a MacKeeper full page ad with video popped up and required two clicks to dismiss. MacKeeper's annoying ad campaign alone is enough to make one avoid the program.

If a program were both good and selling well, Zeobit would not have to force so many ads. Look at the excellent Disk Warrior - - - they don't heavily advertise.

I will never purchase and never recommend MacKeeper.

This is a must read: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3036

Nov 19, 2013 9:09 PM in response to pooroldman

I have used MacKeeper for 3 years, and had no issues until now. There appears to be a serious issue with MacKeeper’s Binaries Cutter utility. Others beside myself have experienced missing Mac Mail folders and missing emails in those folders after running Binaries Cutter, after it asks for a password because it wants to delete the “unnecessary” portion of the ppc architecture. This is not the early Mavericks Gmail problem – I don’t have Gmail. I found several complaints about this happening, and it has caused me a major headache over the last 5 days after upgrading from Mac OS Lion to the Mavericks OS. After restoring various Lion backups 3 times and always running the Binaries Cutter – and always losing Mail folders and emails, I finally disabled the Binaries Cutter function the 4th time. No lost folders or emails!

CAUTION: Something is amiss with the Binaries Cutter function!!

May 4, 2014 10:12 AM in response to Pangolino

Not everything: there are such things as removing binaries and languages in Mackeeper (and other "tools"). These you can not do with mac OSX supplied tools. And it is a proven way to cripple your mac.

Keep away of all apps/tools, that optimise, keep, guard, clean, safeguard, boost, and so on: everything needed is already built in the OSX, or it is proven to cripple your mac.

Lex.

May 5, 2014 12:43 AM in response to MacPcConsultant

Yes Cocktail is in the same "league" as MacKeeper. There is a newer one too, called MemoryKeeper, also in the same league. I would advice to leave the "Mac" part out of your forum name. These kinds of alien apps/tools are maybe useful in the Windows world where there is no tight symbiose between the OS and the hardware (quite an achievement).

Lex

May 5, 2014 8:12 AM in response to Lexiepex

You didn't answer the question, and my forum name is irrelevant. We are not asking to to change your name to shilling.

What harm has ever been done by, for example, Cocktail ? I have only seen it bring benefit. I recommend Clean My Mac and Cocktail and they have never created a problem in over 2,000 Macs. Both programs have only yielded enhancements.

Please give specific examples of adverse consequences proven to be done by using Cocktail.

May 5, 2014 9:17 AM in response to Lexiepex

Dear Lex Shilling:

Please post some links in which the author proved that Cocktail was the sole cause of an adverse effect. I have no financial or emotional interest in Cocktail and/or Clean My Mac2, but I have seen only the benefits of using these programs.

And while you are explaining yourself, please let us all know (other than Apple Disk Utility) which OS tools we should be using in lieu of Cocktail and CleanMyMac.

Thank you.

MacPCConsultant

what is mackeeper

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.